cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GCC 11.3 vs GCC 12.3

CTabo.1
Senior

Hello,
I am going to start a new project on a STM32H5 microcontroller, and first I have updated the STM32CubeIDE to the latest version v.1.14.0.

I have seen that the default toolchain is still v.11.3, but that is also possible to install the new v.12.3.

Which GCC version is better to choose for the new project? Should I mantain 11.3 or pass to 12.3?

Best regards,

Carlo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

If you have no reason to choose one over the other, stick with the default to make your life easier.

All versions of GCC are stable. Newer versions typically implement new features in the latest C++ standards, which you are unlikely to be using on a microcontroller project. Check the release notes to know the differences exactly.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

If you have no reason to choose one over the other, stick with the default to make your life easier.

All versions of GCC are stable. Newer versions typically implement new features in the latest C++ standards, which you are unlikely to be using on a microcontroller project. Check the release notes to know the differences exactly.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thank you @TDK for the clear and quick response.

Regards,

Carlo