cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to set DDR clock

jvog.sen
Associate II

Hello,

I am having a hard time setting the DDR clock at pll2 for an stm32mp157.

The clock has been configured to 528MHz using CubeMX. I checked cfg for pll2 in the DeviceTree against the Datasheet / Referance Manual and all settings seem correct.

Yet /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary returns 533MHz for pll2_r.

PLL2 gets 24MHz from HSE. My current configuration for tf-a:

&rcc {
	pll2:st,pll@1 {
		compatible = "st,stm32mp1-pll";
		reg = <1>;
		cfg = < 2 65 1 1 0 PQR(1,0,1) >;
		frac = < 0x1400 >;
	};

PLL2 gets configured in the dts-file for tf-a only. For kernel and u-boot there are only empty rcc-nodes:

&rcc{
	u-boot,dm-pre-reloc;
	status = "okay";

/* USER CODE BEGIN rcc */
	/* USER CODE END rcc */
};

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @jvog.sen​ ,

you device tree setting are showing 533MHz, let's decode the "cfg = < 2 65 1 1 0 PQR(1,0,1)" :

you have a frac value defined which mean the VCO frequency is

PLL input clock is 24 / (2+1) = 8MHz

PLL multiplier is (65+1)+0x1400/0x2000 = 66.625

So, VCO = 8 * 66.25 = 533 MHz

DDR clock is same as R divider is equal to 1 (0+1).

Just remove the 'frac' line if you want to go to 528MHz (please check it is set to 0 in CubeMX)

Regards

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @jvog.sen​ ,

you device tree setting are showing 533MHz, let's decode the "cfg = < 2 65 1 1 0 PQR(1,0,1)" :

you have a frac value defined which mean the VCO frequency is

PLL input clock is 24 / (2+1) = 8MHz

PLL multiplier is (65+1)+0x1400/0x2000 = 66.625

So, VCO = 8 * 66.25 = 533 MHz

DDR clock is same as R divider is equal to 1 (0+1).

Just remove the 'frac' line if you want to go to 528MHz (please check it is set to 0 in CubeMX)

Regards

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
jvog.sen
Associate II

Thank you so much! I must admit, I completely ignored the frac line all the time:unamused_face:

PatrickF
ST Employee

That's part of common pitfall on such complex product.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'