cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP1 serial boot uart ports?

Dat Tran
Senior II

On STM32MP157f-DK2, when use UART4 which is default connect to STLink, STM32CubeProgrammer connect and work perfectly in boot serial mode.

But when I change to different port (like USART3, pin PB10 and PB12 (also supported by default), STM32CubeProgrammer doesn't connect.

I guess when power up, STLink does something on UART4, this makes STM32MP1 MPU think UART4 is being used for serial mode and prevent all other uarts?

0693W00000WK6nCQAT.png 

3 REPLIES 3
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​ 

I confirm connection is working (just tested on my DK2 board with USART3 on GPIO connector (with and without STLINK connected).

For UART with CubeProgrammer, to avoid trouble with GUI, better to use Command Line like:

"%ProgramFiles%\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer\bin\STM32_Programmer_CLI.exe" -c port=COMx -w flashlayout_xxxx.tsv

Did you use the right COM port (the one which connect to USART3) ?

Did you ensure the board red led is blinking (i.e. waiting for USB/UART connection) before starting connection ?

Are you sure about you USART3 RX/TX connection ? e.g. TX of UART<->USB cable connected to USART3_RX PB12)

Note that USB (on USB_DP2/DM2 pins) is highly recommended with CubeProgrammer.

Due to amount of data to load, UART is limited practically to TF-A and uBoot only.

Btw, once loaded, I think only UART4 flash programming is supported in Starter Package TF-A and uBoot and other UARTs likely requires custom binaries setup.

See also https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/How_to_use_UART_as_serial_boot_device_with_STM32CubeProgrammer

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​ 

Did you solved your issue ?

Regards,

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Dat Tran
Senior II

Hi, not yet. We will back to this issue after finished the design.