cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP1 QUADSPI interface: NorFlash and NandFlash

CharlesBlanchard
Associate III

Hello,

I'm designing a board based on STM32MP1 and it's my first time using QUADSPI.

I need to boot on a NorFlash (MLO + U-boot), and my Linux filesystem will be on a NandFlash.

Those constraint come from the fact that on my previous system (based on a TI MPU), I was using a NorFlash in classic SPI and NandFlash with a parallel bus. I need and I want to keep this "organization".

I was wondering if it was possible to put then both on QUADSPI using the reference design shown in AN5031 Figure 40 (page 65) :

0693W00000GXlaVQAT.png 

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/dm00389996-getting-started-with-stm32mp1-series-hardware-development-stmicroelectronics.pdf

Are there any recommendations to achieve this? Have you already tried this configuration (NorFlash and NandFlash on QUADSPI) ?

If I'm right, as I will be booting from the NorFlash, I need to put in on the bank 1.

For information, when kernel will be running (so from NandFlash), access to the NorFlash will be very limited, no to say very rare.

Thanks for your help,

CBL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​ 

I confirm this setup is supported by the HW and the SW.

See a DT example showing exactly your case: https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/QUADSPI_device_tree_configuration#DT_configuration_example

I confirm you need to use :

• BK1_NCS for the serial-NOR Flash (for BootROM TF-A boot and u-Boot(FIP) )
  • BK2_NCS for the serial-NAND Flash (other filesystem including Linux kernel)

See STM32MP157F-EV1 schematics (MB1262 board) for an HW example on page 5 (here with two serial-NOR, but the second one could be a serial-NAND in your case).

QUADSPI is a good choice for PCB area as it even exist NOR+NAND in same package.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​ 

I confirm this setup is supported by the HW and the SW.

See a DT example showing exactly your case: https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/QUADSPI_device_tree_configuration#DT_configuration_example

I confirm you need to use :

• BK1_NCS for the serial-NOR Flash (for BootROM TF-A boot and u-Boot(FIP) )
  • BK2_NCS for the serial-NAND Flash (other filesystem including Linux kernel)

See STM32MP157F-EV1 schematics (MB1262 board) for an HW example on page 5 (here with two serial-NOR, but the second one could be a serial-NAND in your case).

QUADSPI is a good choice for PCB area as it even exist NOR+NAND in same package.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for this precious answer and the references.

I was nearly sure that is was possible but now I'm reassured, thank you.

Best regards,

CBL