cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP1 openstlinux hardware access

FatihYazman
Associate II

Hi there,

we are developing a custom STM32MP135 board to run openstlinux on it. It will be our first experience with embedded linux (linux) systems, so we have some tasks that we don't know if it can be done. 

These tasks are the following:

1. Can we access the hardware directly?
  2. Can we get gpio interrupt on openstlinux.
  3. Can we send data over spi, i2c, canbus, usart etc.?
  4. Can we get rx interrupt from usart canbus etc.?

The MPU we have chosen is single core, can you guide us on how to do these tasks? Would these tasks be easier if we use dual core MPU?

5 REPLIES 5
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @FatihYazman 

Please go to our Wiki to start with the STM32MP135, you might find answer to most of your questions : 

1.1.3 STM32MP135x-DK - stm32mpu

Hope it help 

Olivier 

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

I searched the wiki but couldn't find any answers on how to create a new project from stm32CubeIde and stm32Cube. Do you have any guidance on this?

Mostly guidance on a sample project.

Hi @FatihYazman 

I understood you plan to use linux .. so for sure not project with STM32Cube Package bare metal only

For linux let first decide at which level you want to work : Distribution or Developper package : 

Which STM32MPU Embedded Software Package better suits your needs - stm32mpu

Then let have a look to :

1.1.3.2 Develop on Arm® Cortex®-A7 - stm32mpu

And if you want to use CubeIDE : 

How to manage OpenSTLinux projects in STM32CubeIDE - stm32mpu

How to debug a user space application with STM32CubeIDE/User space static library project - stm32mpu

Olivier 

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thank you very much these are really helpful, I have one last question that I can't find an answer to, if I configure my hardware in cubemx, suppose I enable canbus, in this case will cubemx configure the linux kernal and how to access the canbus registers or how to send data from the linux application via canbus?

Hi @FatihYazman ,

CubeMX will just generate a DeviceTree to enable CANBUS. Thanks to this setting, kernel will be able to properly instantiate the CAN driver. 

But no sample code is generated to use the driver from application. 

You have to refer on generic Linux documentation for that. 

Wiki can be good starting point : How to send or receive CAN data - stm32mpu

Olivier 

Olivier GALLIEN