cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing (scp) the stm32mp1 from remote server - doing scp from a remote server to stm32mp1 board - uimage,modules,dtbs

PVaaz.1
Associate III

Due to office environment and being behind the Proxy I am not able to build and flash (ports locked) STM32MP1 board from my PC at office.

I have done the downloading and building of the Developer package at my Home PC (without any firewalls) and wanted to scp to my board which is connected to mobile hotspot at my office.Is it possible that i can scp from a PC in one network to the STM32MP1 board in another network(mobile hotspot or Wifi)?

I can safely connect to internet from my stm32mp1 board(tested with ping -c google.com . )

Also when I try to ping it from my Home PC ,it pings once and then stops.

Please tell if at all it is possible , this will save my huge time and going through unnecessary mails to IT and to my Boss as well 🙂 !!

Thanks in advance !

Br,

Pv

5 REPLIES 5
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

This is mostly network setting on your side, not linked to the board itself.

Don't know if your mobile hotspot will forward the right TCP port (22 for ssh or scp) to the board. It is usually not by default. Maybe ping is also blocked/timed to avoid attacks.

I have done a similar but reverse trial with a DK2 board on my home network and after setting NAT tables on my ISP router, I can access the board from the external (verified using e.g. sshcheck.com). Obviosuly using the IP address assigned by the ISP to my router (and not the local board IP address).

This would be anyway not super friendly as you probably cannot flash low level boot SW such as TF-A without using CubeProgrammer with DFU USB or Linux dd with an SD-Card on a Linux PC.

I would suggest that you start asking for USB access exception for your office PC 😉

Proxy is usually not an issue as most company doing SW development company already had http_proxy setup to allow tools to acces web server directly.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
NPal.2
Senior

Hi @PVaaz.1​ : If STM32MP1 is on different network then your home network i am afraid you will not be able to achieve the connection with it.

One better solution would be to have VPN based remote access to your development PC in office to which board is connected and try to do same operations with the development PC.

Another would be to configure the ipv4 setting for the board with the help of IT department. Since it is behind a proxy you might have to get up some authentication done such as a private key of some sorts.

I agree flashing TF-A will not be so user-friendly. But I am not looking for TF-A or starter package flashing rather only scp'ing my stm32mp1 board.Like if I can do winscp or Filezilla to a remote Server why it is not possible to do the same from a remote server to stm32mp1?

I think if some setting is pre-installed in the stm32mp1 it will become more developer-friendly and even a windows PC guy like me can easily build and flash(scp) remotely w/o purchasing high configuration based Linux machine for the build. This is not only for kernel build but also for bit-baking heavy recipes .

Regards

PVaaz.1
Associate III

ipv4 setting for the board with the help of IT department. > I can bring it to my home , not an issue. Issue still remains scp'ing it with a remote machine.

Windows(Home location)<--->remote Ubuntu sever (remote location)<----> STM32Mp1 board(home location)

Regards,

Hi,

from my understanding, networking/routing is not related to any ST tools offer, just matter of network configuration somewhere.

Btw, you don't need any high configuration Linux machine to develop on Linux, all tools not natively available on W10 could be run on an Ubuntu Virtual Machine on any W10 PC (See https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/PC_prerequisites#Windows_PC). In future, WSL might also be supported.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.