cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPTIM_TypeDef contains incorrectly sized field uint16_t RESERVED1

tarmasr
Associate III

The LPTIM_TypeDef struct that is used throughout many of the HAL header files contains a few RESERVED fields that cover unused address offsets in the peripheral's memory map.

The first of these, RESERVED1, is declared as uint16_t. I believe that this is incorrect and that it should be a uint32_t field to ensure that the address offsets of the subsequent fields are correct.

LPTIM_TypeDef.png

Could someone please double-check and correct this if necessary? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hi @tarmasr 

An internal ticket (ID166161) is submitted to escalate this issue internally for check and analysis.

(PS: ID166161 is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers)

thank you for your contribution.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @tarmasr and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

Thank you for reporting this. I will check it internally and get back to you as soon as possible. Can you just add more details (the product you are using, firmware version, ...).

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thanks @STTwo-32 

The reason that this wasn't noticed before is probably because the C compiler will insert its own invisible 2-byte padding right after RESERVED1 to ensure that the next uint32_t data member is 4-byte aligned.

@STTwo-32 :  It happens in all the STM32CubeMX-related header files that define the LPTIM_TypeDef, for all STM32MP1xx MPUs and MCU that contain an LPTIM peripheral.

There are too many different header files to enumerate individually; I suggest that you just create a basic STM32CubeMX project for, say, the STM32MP157AAD3, let it generate the code (no need to add any of your own), and then do a search for LPTIM_TypeDef in the following folder:

Drivers/STM32MP1xx_HAL_Drivers/Inc

Look through the *.h header files in that directory for the LPTIM_TypeDef struct definition; you will find that they all use the same layout, as shown in my earlier screenshot.

Hope this helps.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

In MPU headers yes, CA7 and CM4. For one here, line 2280

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeMP1/blob/master/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32MP1xx/Include/stm32mp151axx_ca7.h

Line 2246

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeMP1/master/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32MP1xx/Include/stm32mp151cxx_cm4.h

In MCU headers - at least not everywhere, see for example in STM32H7: uint32.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/STMicroelectronics/cmsis_device_h7/master/Include/stm32h723xx.h

and not here: no reserved field at all:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/STMicroelectronics/cmsis_device_wb/master/Include/stm32wb5mxx.h

@tarmasr 

The reason that this wasn't noticed before is probably because the C compiler will insert its own invisible 2-byte padding right after RESERVED1

So how have you noticed it? Does it make any problem in your case? Do you use #pragma pack ?

@Pavel A.: I noticed it by inspection while working on an STM32MP157 project. I was trying to understand some third-party code and the uint16_t just jumped out.

And no, I was using the default compiler settings, no special packing options.

I mentioned the compiler's padding only because at first I could not understand how a 2-byte size mismatch could not have been spotted before; that's when I realized that the default compiler settings are probably pack(4) or greater, so that the next uint32_t field will be correctly aligned after all.

However, that is a lucky coincidence really, not something to rely on.

If other LPTIM_TypeDefs don't have the same issue, then that probably points to the faulty one being a copy & paste error when the STM32MP1xx header was created. As I said, I found it for STM32MP1xx devices; I didn't look at the STM32H or STM32WB families.

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hi @tarmasr 

An internal ticket (ID166161) is submitted to escalate this issue internally for check and analysis.

(PS: ID166161 is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers)

thank you for your contribution.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32.