cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMA for USART

NPal.2
Senior

Hi all,

I am trying assign DMA to USART3 channel on STM32MP1.

I assigned it appropriately in the CubeMX but it looks like it was not able to auto-generate any code regarding the DMA assignment to the USART3.

The device-tree bindings look pretty confusing to me. How can I assign it correctly?

I checked option use MDMA in the CubeMX and I can see a mdma block generated which is empty. So any directions on how to assign dma to USART3 will be really helpful and appreicated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'm not Linux expert, but I understand the DMA channels assignment and configuration is not done statically at DT level but rather in your application.

See https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Dmaengine_overview

At DT level, DMA1 (usually) will just be define as 'okay' to assign it on Linux side.

MDMA is not used directly, except for USART1 in secure mode (OpTEE)

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

please precise in which context you are requesting DMA with USART3. Is it for Cortex-M4 code generation with CubeMX ?

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @PatrickF​  I am trying to use the USART3 in A7 context.

I'm not Linux expert, but I understand the DMA channels assignment and configuration is not done statically at DT level but rather in your application.

See https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Dmaengine_overview

At DT level, DMA1 (usually) will just be define as 'okay' to assign it on Linux side.

MDMA is not used directly, except for USART1 in secure mode (OpTEE)

Regards.

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

Olivier GALLIEN