cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to test DSI connection on custom-board?

Arnas Celkys
Associate II

I am using MB1407C (stm32mp157x-DK2 extension board with touch-screen) connected to my custom board. When board is booting I am getting the "ST life.augmented" screen on the U-boot and black screen when kernels starts. Also I am getting the telnet commands when I am updating the flashlayout using the CubeMxFlashLoader - so my guess is the DSI connection is working, but why do i get the black screen instead of the Wayland Weston desktop- that is shown when stm32mp157x-DK2 loads up the OS? What am i missing? What is other way to test the DSI connections?

0693W00000HprnLQAR.jpg0693W00000HprjjQAB.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Good morning @Arnas Celkys​ ,

Nice.

I think the probe of the HDMI probably caused an error that was preventing LTDC/DSI to be configured correctly at linux level.

Great that you find the problem.

Regards,

Kevin

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Arnas Celkys
Associate II

************* update ************************

Attaching stdout

Starting Weston Wayland Compositor (on tty7)...

[ OK ] Started Sound Service.

[ OK ] Reached target Multi-User System.

Starting Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes...

[ OK ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.

[FAILED] Failed to start Weston Wayland Compositor (on tty7).

It would appear it fails Weston Wayland Compositor

then I tied:

>>systemctl status weston@root.service

<<

[[0;1;31m*[[0m weston@root.service - Weston Wayland Compositor (on tty7)

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/weston@.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/weston@.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)

Active: [[0;1;31mfailed[[0m (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2020-09-20 10:44:12 UTC; 6min ago

Process: 601 ExecStartPre=/sbin/check-gpu [[0;1;31m(code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)[[0m

Sep 20 10:44:11 stm32mp1 systemd[1]: Starting Weston Wayland Compositor (on tty7)...

Sep 20 10:44:12 stm32mp1 systemd[1]: [[0;1;39m[[0;1;31m[[0;1;39mweston@root.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE[[0m

Sep 20 10:44:12 stm32mp1 systemd[1]: [[0;1;38;5;185m[[0;1;39m[[0;1;38;5;185mweston@root.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.[[0m

Sep 20 10:44:12 stm32mp1 systemd[1]: [[0;1;31m[[0;1;39m[[0;1;31mFailed to start Weston Wayland Compositor (on tty7).[[0m

I seems to indicate to problem of vendor, but this same SD runs on eval-board ok... The custom-board has the same pinout and socket for DSI (double-checked).

Also I have checked the 3V3 for the DSI screen and seems to be stable 3V3.

Not sure should I proceed to tripple check the HW (pcb traces etc.) or issue is on SW...

0693W00000Hr74fQAB.pngTOP - eval-board schematics0693W00000Hr76AQAR.pngBOT - my custom board shematics

>>or issue is on SW...

That you successfully get any image displayed suggests its not a HW connectivity problem.

Start screen suggest that has all the clocking and timing in order for that part (u-Boot ?)

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Yep it works in U-Boot and goes dark as soon as it starts up kernel, my hunch tells that it is SW too. I will try a few more things and post update 🙂

Kevin HUBER
ST Employee

Hello @Arnas Celkys​ ,

Do you still need help on this issue?

Regards,

Kévin

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Good morning, @Kevin HUBER​ 

I just removed HDMI node (because I am not using it at all) as alternative on Kernel device tree - it worked out for me. Thanks!

Regards,

Arnas

Good morning @Arnas Celkys​ ,

Nice.

I think the probe of the HDMI probably caused an error that was preventing LTDC/DSI to be configured correctly at linux level.

Great that you find the problem.

Regards,

Kevin