cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No OTA BLE stack updates for STM32WB5xxC ?

OliM
Senior

The standard OTA application is taking up 28kBytes and even the light stack (v 1.16) starts at 0x08021000 on the 256kB models. This leaves 104kByte in between. Does that mean it is not possible to updatet the wireless stack via OTA on those models?

4 REPLIES 4
Issamos
Lead II

Hello @OliM 

This post may help you.

Best regards.

II

I know the AN5247 referenced there, which shows the following image

OliM_0-1693489512814.png

According to this it would NOT work in case of the smallest WB chips, even with the light BLE stack. Which I think of as a big drawback. 

Hello again,

You're right that on the STM32WB models with 256KB of flash memory, there may not be enough free space left after the standard OTA and BLE stack images to also include an OTA-updatable wireless stack.

A few things to note:

- The OTA application and BLE stack footprint can sometimes be reduced with optimization to free up more space.

- It may be possible to split the wireless stack into multiple smaller chunks that can be individually updated via OTA to fit in the remaining space.

- Using external flash/RAM for the updatable portion could work if available on the particular board/module.

Hope this help you. If your question is answered please check this answers as best answer to be diffused.

Best regards.

II

- The OTA application and BLE stack footprint can sometimes be reduced with optimization to free up more space.

The later is supplied by ST as an immutable binary, I dont see how I can add optimizations there. This means the bootloader would need to shrink to 8kB. Thinkable but not very likely. 

- It may be possible to split the wireless stack into multiple smaller chunks that can be individually updated via OTA to fit in the remaining space.

Not really since the OTA APP needs an active copy of the stack to work.

- Using external flash/RAM for the updatable portion could work if available on the particular board/module.

Which will probably be more expensive than taking a higher capacity WB chip.