cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a warning that - Device under test not responding COM port closed - when trying to connect the STM32CubeMonitor-RF to the WB55 Nucleo or Dongle.

BGoathals
Associate

Using either the default program or programming the BLE_TransparentMode default hex file results in this error. I have both a windows 10 and macOS 10.14.4 machine that I get this result. The VCOM port doesn't seem to be the issue as I can program and see the units. Any help would be much appreciated!

24 REPLIES 24

Hello.

The error could be that Port does not open, or Nucleo software does not answer to STM32CubeMonitor-RF request. During connection, the tool opens the port, checks the version of device, and if there is no answer, the tool closes the port.

Some possible solution :

• There are some advice in the user manual UM2288, chapter 2.3 Opening COM. Can you check it ?
  • Try to flash the binary provided in the STM32CubeWB. You must use the correct Wireless Coprocessor Binary : stack stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_fw.bin. If Wireless copro binary is not correct, application will not work.
  • Do you see some log in the log area ?
  • Are you using Windows, Linux or MacOs ?

Stephane

MPiot.1
Associate II

0693W000001sdByQAI.png@stephane.legargeant​ I checked the manual, but the problems described either do not refer to mine or the solutions do not help. After using the given binary and connecting the board to the PC with USER USB, no COM port appears. Through the ST-LINK USB the port cannot be opened again. I am using Windows 10. The logs look like this.

First, you must use the ST-LINK USB connector to connect the Nucleo board. The USER USB is not used in transparent mode on Nucleo.

Can you check if the error is "Device under test not responding" or "Could not open COM port" ? (The first one indicates that port was found and opened, but there was no answer from board. The second indicates that port can not be opened.)

@stephane.legargeant​ Using the ST-LINK USB the error says "Device under test not responding" in BLE and OpenThread mode but "Could not open COM port" in RF mode.

You can find the example in the STM32cube firmware for WB series. Go to www.st.com, and search "STM32CubeWB". You will see The STM32WB cube firmware page

You can then download the firmware pack. The transparent mode example is in the tree in the folder STM32Cube_FW_WB_V1.7.0\Projects\P-NUCLEO-WB55.Nucleo\Applications\BLE\BLE_TransparentMode\

Stephane

@stephane.legargeant​ the problem I described happens exactly with the example binary you mentioned.

Kolab
Senior

@MPiot.1​ I tested on my USB Dongle and it works properly. I did as I explained to you before. Open the device management and check if it's all okay with the ports. Check if the port that you are using is not opened in another program. Try to disconnect the port in device management and reconnect and check if all jumpers are in the correct places (you can see in the documentation how they should be put).

@Kolab​ Thank you, that worked. However there is no project (.ioc) file for that example and my goal is to enable the COM Port connection for my project.

The problem could be a connection issue between STM32WB MCU and ST-Link or the copro wireless stack not properly configured.

• You should check first if the jumper TX and RX are well connected.
  • You can load another BLE example to check if stack is working. To test, load the binary of BLE_HeartRate_ANCS on the nucleo and check with a smartphone and the "ST BLE Profile" app that you see a device name "HRANC". If you can connect to it, the wireless stack is ok. If it is not working, you should update the copro wireless stack. (stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_fw.bin See Release_Notes.html in Projects\STM32WB_Copro_Wireless_Binaries\STM32WB5x)

Stephane