cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best or possible USB controller(s) for use with STM32WL5MOCH6STR???

GordonDavid
Associate

HI,

I'm currently looking at the STM32WL5MOCH6STR module but I need USBC for data transfer. Any suggestion for an USBC interface chip?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

USBC is a connector type, not the USB protocoll/speed type. So even a USB1 speed board can have a USBC connector. Otherwise, STM32WL5 has no USB hardware so you need to add something like MAX3420E to get USB functtionality. Did you consider a Serial to USB device like the FTDIX232? But I also wonder what your application is. LORA is for a remote device, USB for a PC connected device. This contradicts.

Thank you. I should have been more specific. 

I need to use a USBC connector for both power and data transfer. Since the STM32WL5 has no internal support, I need an interface chip that will work with the largest number of devices. I looked at the STUSB4500LQTR but it didn't look like a good match. Is there another device required to interface the STUSB4500LQTR to a STMicro MCU?

Thanks,

Chris21
Senior

"Is there another device required to interface the STUSB4500LQTR to a STMicro MCU?"

To accomplish USB data transfer, the STMicro MCU would need to have a USB peripheral, STM32WL5MOC does not.

As you can read in the description of USB-C (e.g. on Wikipedia), USB-C defines other ports in addition to the data lines for data transmission, e.g. the Configuration Channel (CC). This CC is used to exchange information for USB-PD or other modes in parallel to data communication.

The STUSB4500L as the small brother of the STUSB4500 is not a USB-PHY for USB-C data transmission, but a USB Type-C sink port controller for the aforementioned Configuration Channel (CC) if the respective MCU does not offer such a controller.

So if you absolutely want to transfer data via USB-C, as @Uwe Bonnes mentioned, you need a device that converts a serial port to USB. In addition, a corresponding programme is required as a remote application on the host side.

Perhaps it will be easier to help you if you describe the aim of your endeavours?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.