cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are European characters wrong in STemWin.

Sammalisto.Pauli
Associate II

I opened and build a STM32F429 STemWin Hello world application in the latest STM32Cube Repository. All works fine, but if I add/change some European letters to the text, eg. Ä, Ö and Å are wrong. They are printed something like A+tilde and a "reverse" P (Word's paragraph mark). I have some other old "green field" STemWin applications that worked then ok, but have now the same problem. Is there anything I can do to correct the behavior?

I am using W10, STM32CubeIde and TrueStudio. The old applications were made by TrueStudio. The problem is in both frameworks.

Where can I get information about these new libraries, what is what. The same error is now with old and new libraries.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PCu1
Senior

Hello,

Moving from Atollic to CubeIDE gave me some issues for STemwin.

The Codepage of the file is not the same and my comments and STemwin texts(accented characters) in the source code appeared like you mention.

==> my solution

I first checked that CubeIDE C files are in UT8.

After that I replaced wrong character in source code.

Finally I added this line in after GUI_init():

GUI_UC_SetEncodeUTF8();

Hope this help.

Pierre

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PCu1
Senior

Hello,

Moving from Atollic to CubeIDE gave me some issues for STemwin.

The Codepage of the file is not the same and my comments and STemwin texts(accented characters) in the source code appeared like you mention.

==> my solution

I first checked that CubeIDE C files are in UT8.

After that I replaced wrong character in source code.

Finally I added this line in after GUI_init():

GUI_UC_SetEncodeUTF8();

Hope this help.

Pierre

Sammalisto.Pauli
Associate II

Thank you Pierre, that helped a lot, all works now fine.

I was struggling with encodings and character sets in the 80's, but it did not occur to me, that I need now unicode, especially when the characters are in ISO 8859 character set in manual page 250.