cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which STM controller is suitable to interface it to one LCD display?

NKuma.1
Associate II

HI Team,

My requirement is to interface STM controller to one LCD display,40 pin GPIO's and I2C communication. Please suggest which controller is suitable for my project. I am new in this controller.

12 REPLIES 12

STM32F469NIH6 https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers/stm32f469ni.html

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Tomas DRESLER
Senior II

Hi,

you don't say what LCD? Old Nokia one with SPI communication? Modern TFT with MIPI DSI? I8080-compatible (like HD44780), or LCD with parallel RGB interface?

You don't say what refresh rate, resolution of the display you do want? Any JPEG processing capability? Performance of the CPU?

You can start with these questions and as soon as you answer them, download ST MCU Finder and choose the family (performance, frequency), package (64 or 100 pins?) and peripherals (I2C, LTDC, MIPI DSI, SPI, JPEG).

Or, you can start with some Discovery kit with LCD, like STM32F746-DISCO.

Keep us posted!

Tomas

MNapi
Senior III

I saw the STM32F469NIH6 it looks intersting but the price is $90 and i see the is a sample program from STM to run it . You could go with STM32F446 and mcufriend touch tft 320 x 480 and you can light this up right away using Aduino IDE, there is library and samples, very easy. So far nobody did it with Kiel which would be really cool.

And the price would be less than 1/3 of TM32F469NIH6.

The STM32F469NIH6 is a chip, probably runs less than $10 in quantity

>>So far nobody did it with Keil which would be really cool.

You want something, try a bounty scheme. The biggest problem with the STM32 community is there is very little appreciation for people spending hours on other problems. I'm at a point where all the oxygen in the room has been burned.

I spent a lot of time trying to find any working sample with LCD. I saw a few but with small LCD.

I am so tired looking and asking I wouldn't not mind to pay if somebody writes me library to get some of those 320x 480 or 480 x 800, touch tft working.

for experianced programmer it is maybe 2 hours work. I am not there yet to do something like this myself

Hey, pause a little! When you choose existing ST discovery board with LCD (F429-DISCO, F746-DISCO or F769-DISCO), you download the CubeF4 or CubeF7 HAL package from www.st.com, you have myrriads of examples with LCD. Just choose your preferred GUI stack (TouchGFX, STemWin) and you go!, even for Keil.

Take some online training from here, first: https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/support/learning/stm32-education.html

to know ST toolchain, then obtain a board and start digging the examples

Those which come with the discover are just small LCD and expensive. I need something bigger. Some of the boards have the arduino connector so it would be easy to plug in some of the arduino touch tft 320 x 480.

You just need a library and some sample program I have seen for the discovery board. If you do it for living you can do it maybe under hour. I need a few months to study it first. It is not good for people doing hobby projects.

Thanks for the help