cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touchgfx with external nor flash using fmc

Shashikant_Hiremath
Associate III

Hello Everyone,

I have 24 bit Display having 800 x 480 resolution.

Also,

I have fmc interface having stm32h753bit6 microcontroller with nor flash mt28ew128aba1lpc of 16MB and external sdram of 8MB .

External SDRAM is working fine with touchgfx as double frame buffer config.

I want to store touchgfx images in this nor flash using fmc interface.

Can anyone help me in how to interface nor flash using fmc?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Shashikant_Hiremath ,

If you flash assets without TouchGFX then use TouchGFX, TouchGFX won't know where the assets are located.
I am afraid flashing the assets using Segger then using TouchGFX is not posisble.

Can I ask you why you want to do such manipualtion?

Regards,

Gaetan Godart
Software engineer at ST (TouchGFX)

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Have you seen this article about using FMC with TouchGFX? Using FMC with TouchGFX 

How do you configure your external SDRAM?

Can you tell us exactly what is blocking you?

Regards,

Gaetan Godart

Hello @GaetanGodart ,

The configuration is as follows:

Display:24bit rgb 800x480

Display interface: LTDC with touchgfx and Dma2d enabled.

External Memory interface: sdram and nor flash both uses fmc.

My question is I want to store touchgfx images in nor flash using fmc interface?

I don't know exact steps to be done to get it working using flasher/debugger with project settings may be in linker file and all.

I'm using stm32cubeide.

Thanks 

GaetanGodart
ST Employee

I have looked at the MCU you are using.
It has quadSPI which is recommended to use when possible for better performances.

Here is the official guide on how to interface a flash memory as external memory using quadSPI : quadSPI flash guide 

I hope you are able to follow along and set up your memory!

Regards,

Gaetan Godart

Hello @GaetanGodart ,

Right now i don't have QSPI in my PCB Board .
I have only mt28ew128aba1lpc NOR Flash which is a CFI Flash type that uses FMC interfacae with microcontroller.
So I need to work on with this interface  only as of now.

Thanks in advance!

GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Ok I understand.

I think the guide still stands as it gives each steps to follow, you will just have to adapt the communication protocol.

I would be glad to help you if you have a specific issue.

Regards,

Gaetan Godart
Shashikant_Hiremath
Associate III

Hello @GaetanGodart ,

Can you help me in FMC intialzation for NOR flash for downloading images via jlink flash or jlink script?

GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Can you please explain in detail what you want to do, what you have tried and why you are blocked so I can help you?

I am not the most familiar with FMC initialization and I think it is a question about STM32CubeMX but I can try my best to help you.

Regards,

Gaetan Godart

Hello @GaetanGodart,

I'm scoping using various external flash with an STM32H753 too.

I think the Micron MT28EW128ABA1LPC can do a page read (32-bytes) in 370ns. That's one random access at 70ns plus 15 sequential half-words at 20ns each. The 32-bytes is the STM32H7's cache line length.

I think a single fast QSPI NOR flash like the Micron MT28EW128ABA1LPC clocked at 100MHz (STM32H743 max DDR rate) using quad I/O, DTR, 4DTRD command and 3-byte addressing and 10 cycles of dummy can read the same size data in 470ns + 4.5ns (tSLCH CS# active setup time) = 474.5ns.

I have looked at the MCU you are using.
It has quadSPI which is recommended to use when possible for better performances.

Are my timing calculations incorrect?

Can't both the FMC and Quad-SPI do memory-mapped modes and be read and/or executed from device address space?

What exactly is "better performances" please?

Hello @GaetanGodart ,

Microcontroller with MT28EW128ABA1LPC with FMC interface i can read and write using HAL libraries in code.
As Touchgfx images needs to be stored in Flash which is not possible in internal flash memory due to low memory size of 2MB.

my display takes single image size of 1.1MB so for me in order to use display with images/ touchgfx assets for GUI development it needs external flash memory. So we had MT28EW128ABA1LPC this as now external flash.

Now my point is i want to store/ place these assets of touchgfx in flash through jlink debugger(as a external loader) before actual application is downloaded through jlink in internal flash.

https://wiki.segger.com/Generic_IDE#Using_the_J-Link_Flash_loader
This link will give you an idea that i'm trying to say.

Thanks