cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New language initial text values

egoltzman
Senior

Hi,

In the designer, when a new language is added there is an option to select the "Initial text values".

Does those values are handled on the designer level or at the TouchGFX core level?

Is there a way to update the initial language through API at run time?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

It means you can inherit values from another language to get you started (as placeholders) because otherwise you'd have to fill them all out before you can compile successfully .

/Martin

egoltzman
Senior

Thanks Martin, I thought that this is what it should do, I'm just not sure i I understand how to use it.

If I leave an entry in one of the other languages (that is not the default language) empty and willing it to use the default language in that case then the Designer mark it as an error and fail to generate

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

It's just a one-shot initialization of all the entries for that language with the values from another language. You cannot leave them empty, although maybe that'd be a nice feature to have. "If empty, use default", or something like that,.

/Martin

egoltzman
Senior

OK, Got it, so this is only an offline designer feature that "fill in" the new language with values from the other defined default language.

Yes, that will be a nice feature, for example, when some of the resources are application specific that you do not want to translate it can save space if you can point to the default language entry instead of copy it to all the languages.

Thanks Martin

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Right, that might save a bit of space. No problem!

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Forgot to answer your question about updating languages at run-time. You can both change language during runtime, but you can also swap in a language for another one using a feature that allows you to store languages as binaries and swap language definitions for a particular language at run-time.