cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can somebody please tell me the best TFT display options (of 4 inches or bigger) that I can easily interface with my NUCLEOF401RE board?

Rainbow2601
Associate II

5 REPLIES 5
Harvey White
Senior III

If the chip has LTDC, then if the pins are output (not likely) you could use that.

IF not, then you want an I2C interface or an SPI interface to a display that can handle that.

SPI is faster.

You could take one of the Epson chips (S1D13517 or the like) and use it to drive a bare panel. The possible interfaces could be SPI, but you'd have to be careful which Epson chip you use. S1D13781 can be SPI, and can support a single plane VGA display.

requires design work, though

MasterT
Lead

Easiest way to add TFT to nucleo is to get "arduino style" shield, from aliexpress or amazon. I prefer 3.5" in all my projects, like here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7W7U3Dg8vg

Shield has great software support, library from Adafruit and many others.

Harvey White
Senior III

Arduinos can be a good solution.

It depends on how you want the system to work. If you want your main CPU (F4) to control the display directly, then lt's LTDC, SPI, or I2C.

If you want a display, and are willing to have a slower update (or that's the only way you can do it), then an external CPU driving a pre-packaged display is fine.

What you will have to do is figure out a way to control the external CPU (Arduino or otherwise) from your main CPU, and do so gracefully. I2C may be the best way, all things considered. You'd want to figure out a message structure that allows remote control, and transfers enough information to put whatever it is wherever it needs to go.

If you want to implement a touchscreen, the arduino can do that, but you'd want an extra line driven by the arduino back to the F4 as an interrupt. That would simply cause the F4 to read status from the arduino and see what the display wanted.

My latest programming uses a different set of hardware (L5 processor), which should be able to be controlled by a master processor, or the display can serve as a master processor/remote display.

It can get a bit complicated and grow on you, but you don't have to go for the complicated solution.

+1

The 3.5" (480x320) is probably the most appropriate from a size/fit perspective.

ST has some NUCLEO-64/144 specific screens, but these are smaller.

X-NUCLEO-GFX 2.2"320x240

Not really seen anything bigger that mounts to Arduino headers directly.

Mostly using I2C OLED screens here for data/diagnostics, from 0.96" to 2.42"

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

A lot depends on where you want that display to be, and how much memory you can spare. The Chinese made SPI displays (3.5 and 480x320) are the largest I've seen for that kind of display. If you go directly to the Arduino headers, you should be able to drive it directly, with perhaps a jumper set to 3.3 volt input rather than 5.0 (regulator setting).

Graphics can really eat up memory, so it depends also on how much memory you have left in your processor whether or not you want to try a separate display processor or not. Simplest to use just one processor, though.

My hardware boards drive two displays, an I2C 1.2 inch OLED and a 320 x 240 SPI touchscreen. I could replace the 320 x 240 with a larger display, but it would be on a cable due to board limitations.