cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will STM start shipping STM32H7 devices to distributors

anonymous.8
Senior II
Posted on August 07, 2017 at 00:58

STM have made a big song and dance about STM32H7 devices being in production by Q2 2017. Well Q2 has come and gone and still distributors such as Digi-Key and Mouser have no inventory nor even any parts listings. Also when is STM going to make available discovery boards for this series?

#stm32h7
16 REPLIES 16
Posted on August 09, 2017 at 03:11

The CubeMX application shows a Nucleo 144 board with an STM32H743ZI

Posted on August 09, 2017 at 03:37

The 16-bit TIM's were a woeful choice 10 years ago, let's not suggest legacy is a reason to keep a boat load of 16-bit TIM, have a handful if you must. It is a lot easier to truncate a 32-bit counter to 16-bit operation than it is to lash together a pair of 16-bits one, and providing an atomic read for the counter is next to impossible.

I'd swear people were selling 32-bit encoder chips, 20 years ago. Who builds encoders or frequency counters with 16-bit counters? You can't integrate a second of any meaningful frequency.

What portion of the STM32 customer base builds clothes washing machines, dishwashers and fridges, and why would such devices need 200-300 MHz Cortex-M7 devices? There seems to be a huge lack of insight into what opportunities are being ignored or foreclosed by some of these decisions. Every time they are solidified in silicon you lose another opportunity to move forward architecturally for a generation.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
AVI-crak
Senior
Posted on August 09, 2017 at 17:06

The number of timer bits is not an important characteristic of the chip with a clock frequency of more than 200 MHz.

It is much more important to configure the outputs of peripheral units. The loop of the copper track around the processor at a high frequency - in fact, destroys the real-world applications of the high-frequency processor.

Look at the spread of the legs for connecting sdram memory. The rest of the periphery requires fewer connections, but the contacts are not compactly assembled - they have assignments in a chaotic manner.

All this is part of the heritage of the first successful samples of products. Then it became known as compatibility. And now this is called a feature of the series.

ST has a chance to release a processor with a new assignment of peripheral blocks. A simpler and more thoughtful grouping by functions, on one central bus for all conclusions at once. Every time this chance is given to its competitors. Probably they like it.

Posted on August 09, 2017 at 15:37

Right on, Clive!  I couldn't agree more, especially your last paragraph - 'What portion of the STM32 customer base builds clothes washing machines, dishwashers and fridges, and why would such devices need 200-300 MHz Cortex-M7 devices? There seems to be a huge lack of insight into what opportunities are being ignored or foreclosed by some of these decisions. Every time they are solidified in silicon you lose another opportunity to move forward architecturally for a generation.'

Why can't STM move forward instead of being buried in legacy needs for once?
Posted on August 09, 2017 at 16:04

One of the problems is that the 'white goods' guys have represented a large volume, and driven design decisions in the past. They however represent a very small number of customers, and we seem to be stuck with them driving the bus, rather than the needs/expectations of those using a 32-bit micro for other applications. I'm afraid the design is far to far down the pike to remedy any of the obvious failings.

The TIM module is a monster, it's generality kills it on all fronts. I understand why 16-bit was chosen, but if your broke the TIM in to more functional blocks you could address some of those. The pin mux has a lot of vacant routeing. You're not trying to compete with archaic 8 and 16-bit micros, a 32-bit micro should have 32-bit timers, period. A couple of 64-bit counters wouldn't go amiss these days.

Having half-a-dozen 32-bit encoders, with 2 limit registers could be it's own peripheral. The frequency could be below 200 MHz, and avoid a lot of the critical path arguments. These could also be used to measure external frequency, with the ability to capture counts from different internal timebases.

The motor control needs it's own TIM, the multi-phase stuff, while not my thing, seems to require a lot of baby sitting of the TIM.

The STM32 used to represent a couple of different designs, in the last year this seems to have exploded into a large array of parts. Much of the disparity is handled by Cube/HAL, but unifying everything is a monumental task and results in a thick abstraction layer. Supporting and doing proper regression testing is going to be very difficult.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on August 24, 2017 at 01:02

You do know that 16-bit timers can be combined to make 32-bit, 48-bit, and 64-bit timers.  Having more of them just gives you more options.

Posted on August 24, 2017 at 03:43

Do you have working example code for doing PWM input capture using n+1 16bit timer-counters daisy chained?