cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two applications on one single processor

ssmail
Associate II
Posted on July 24, 2014 at 22:18

Does anyone have any experience running two applications on single processor?

I have accomplished running two separate images that can communicate with each other with function pointer (callbacks) on other processors by using dlls, but I can’t find information about doing so on a Cortex processor.

This should allow the applications to be built separately.

13 REPLIES 13
Posted on July 30, 2014 at 22:10

Well it would depend a lot if the task actually needs a 6.25 HP Briggs and Stratton, or 1200 HP Bugatti Veyron engine.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ssmail
Associate II
Posted on July 31, 2014 at 19:13

I don't really need the horsepower of a dual core. In the past my product was done on two processors, one 32-bit and one 8-bit. Now the physical size and cost are driving me to look into other options. The issue is that:

1)  I don't control the code in the 8-bit processor

2)  The two applications need to be independently programmable.

I don't have the time to do a 'proof of concept' at the moment so I was hoping someone could point me to an example, app note ...

ssmail
Associate II
Posted on July 31, 2014 at 19:40

I should've mentioned that the 32-bit processor was a 80MHz ARM7TDMI. Not exactly a Bugatti by today's standards.

Chris1
Senior III
Posted on July 31, 2014 at 20:07

You may find NXP's LPC 4300 microcontrollers interesting.  These have a Cortex-M4 CPU and a Cortex-M0 CPU.  I don't know if your separate programability goals can be entirely achieved with this device though.