Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SysTimer period less than 1 ms

CTabo.1
Senior

Hello,

I am moving from TI DSPs to STM32 MCUs.

I would like know if it is possible to configure SysTick timer to generate an interrupt with a period less than 1 ms, as I usually do on TI DSP projects.

My doubt comes from UM2319, par 6.1.2:

"SysTick timer is used by default as source of time base, but user can eventually implement his proper time base source (a general purpose timer for example or other time source), keeping in mind that Time base duration should be kept 1ms since PPP_TIMEOUT_VALUEs are defined and handled in milliseconds basis."

Thank you,

Carlo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well, you can do the same with STM32 and use one of the many timers to generate a periodic interrupt.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @CTabo.1​, to the community!

Of course, you can also run the tick with a timing other than 1ms. However, the UM rightly points out that all assumptions within the firmware library that assume a 1ms systick are no longer correct. You would have to do a lot of work to adapt everything to the new timing.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
CTabo.1
Senior

Thank you Peter for very fast reponse!

So it doesn't seem good idea to change the SysTick default configuration, to not compromise HAL timings.

In my application I need a 100 us periodic interrupt for I/O operations.

In TI projects I achive this result simply configuring a 100 us tick timer.

Which pattern should I use in this case, instead?

Shoud I configure a second timer to generate my 100us application tick?

Thank you.

Well, you can do the same with STM32 and use one of the many timers to generate a periodic interrupt.

Regards

/Peter

CTabo.1
Senior

Thank you Peter.

I will do in this way.