cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32U575 FW update over USB Type-C

ATroš.1
Associate

Hello.

For my project I'd like an option to update firmware on my STM32U575 over USB Type-C connector either with the computer or with the USB flash drive.

Details:

• Board I'm developing has its own power, no power needed from USB. 
  • When connected to the computer the communication between the PC and the STM32U575 shall be bidirectional.
  • If the flash drive is inserted STM32U575 checks for the firmware update file and performs the FW update automatically.

Questions:

• USB Type-C does not have ID pin. Is FW update possible using USB Type-C?
  • According to the schematic in the datasheet (section 3.3) I cannot use USB Type-C or can I?
  • If yes, how should I wire my USB Type-C receptacle? Without additional interfaces in the middle if possible.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @ATroš.1 

IP pin is required for USB OTG when using USB as device and host. Otherwise, if using only USB device, you can implement firmware update using a routine in your firmware or using the USB DFU bootloader.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @ATroš.1 

IP pin is required for USB OTG when using USB as device and host. Otherwise, if using only USB device, you can implement firmware update using a routine in your firmware or using the USB DFU bootloader.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

ATroš.1
Associate

Additional questions:

1. According to the connections in table 14 in this manual https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2296399/St-Stm32u5.html?page=31#manual will I be able to update the firmware on the STM32U575 in host mode and in device mode? Or just in one of them?
  2. What if I use this connection in section 10.3 in this datasheet https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/dm00536349-usb-type-c-power-delivery-using-stm32xx-series-mcus-and-stm32xxx-series-mpus-stmicroelectronics.pdf will I be able to update the firmware on the STM32U575 in host mode and in device mode? Or just in one of them?
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

AFAIK USB in all "normal" Windows systems (not relict WinCE or Windows Phone) acts only as host. So your board has to play device role.