Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F7 Discovery?

mfkfx1
Associate
Posted on September 30, 2014 at 15:43

Hello,

will ST offer a STM32F7 discovery board? If yes, when can we expect it?

Regards
36 REPLIES 36
yzhang1985
Associate III
Posted on June 26, 2015 at 21:54

Curses, the camera connector is incompatible with the OV5640 I want to use.

Will a more breakout type board be released or is there any way I can create a 30 pin to 24pin Hirose connector adapter that's compatible with the OV5640?

Otherwise, I'll have to create my own breakout board or jump directly to the design (I already have a lot of experience with STM32F4)

I do welcome the new SD card holder on the board.
Posted on June 26, 2015 at 22:22

Supposedly it can use the camera from the STM32F4-DIS series.

I would imagine someone might make other suitably cabled cameras that can connect directly, or through a small adapter.

I pulled off a copy of the original firmware, and the system loader.

Built a small app using my equivalent to the ''snippets'' stuff, so have the ST-LINK VCP USART working, and the Arduino one working too. Piping the output from a GPS shield, and have putchar/printf (newlibs) functional. Using command line GNU/GCC 4.9.3 to build directly for the Cortex-M7 

Need to start tinkering with the FPU and get the SWV working.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 26, 2015 at 23:30

Original V1.0.0 firmware attached

/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM32Discovery/Attachments/14145/STM32F746G-DISCO-V1.0.0.zip

Attachments :

STM32F746G-DISCO-V1.0.0.zip : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006HzjR&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bOo%2F1QXNOD6aAd.xneIuPgbOEzD3swF6g0lvN.W9OBIfcAg&asPdf=false
juergen2
Associate II
Posted on June 29, 2015 at 14:17

Where can I find the source for original disco firmware. Inside the cube archive there are only the sources for the eval board.

Posted on June 29, 2015 at 15:04

I'd expect it to be posted under the ''Design Resources'' tab for the DISCO board when it is released.

grandvu
Associate
Posted on June 30, 2015 at 06:50

Well the STM32 F7 Dsicovery is out, albeit in small quantities in the U.S. Digikey had 50 and sold out. Mouser has 44 coming in on 07/13. Avnet has 25 (but a weird ordering scheme), and Farnell in Europe scored big at 200.

There is no copy of the STM32F7 Discovery ''Out of the Box'' Demo code yet. Just the F7 CubeMX stuff, which has the code for the STM32F756NG Eval Board, which sports a lot of the same stuff that is also on the STM32F746NG based Discovery. But there are some differences in pin usage, so you would have to do a fair amount of spelunking thru the STM32F756NG Eval code to convert it to work with the Discovery.

In the interim, I have real work to do, so I blew away the demo code, and am busily working away on Modbus and MQTT stuff. At some point hopefully, ST will provide the specific build files for the Discovery demo stuff.  

The standalone examples in the F7 CubeMX are quite good, and quite extensive, so that has been a big help. In general, if you know the F4, you will quickly feel at home with the F7, because a lot of the same concepts come across.

Posted on June 30, 2015 at 23:52

Have the SWV working, though it doesn't always start reliably.

Confirmed that the silicon only implements FPU-S option. Freescale also seems to have opted for this.
pedro
Associate II
Posted on July 03, 2015 at 00:42

Why didn´t ST released a discovery board with more exposed gpio pins?

I want to buy an F7 but I think the lack of exposed pins on the DISCO will be a problem since I'm used to stm32f407 disco and I can see me needing those exposed pins in the future.

Is there a prediction for when ST will release a disco board with more exposed pins?

Thanks.
Posted on July 03, 2015 at 02:30

My prediction is they won't. They've basically gone all-in on the features directly supported by the chip with a complete board, aggressively priced. They used the BGA part to get all the pins/functionality out. The F429-DISCO was a bit of a disaster in this regard, as most everything was already used, or half the pins on the unused peripherals couldn't be escaped (SDIO, ETHERNET, DCMI, etc).

If you want a break-out board, then you'll need to look at something that just brings all the pins to a header. The eBay and WaveShare crew might come up with something more like what you want.

Posted on July 03, 2015 at 02:37

The NUCLEO might happen, and you could double check the pin out vs other available parts/boards. There's a faction here that would just as soon desolder and remove an existing part and slap on an F7. For others if they have pin compatibility they'll just tweak the BOM and make the new model.

At least one of the F7 parts completely train-wrecked the pin compatibilty