cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F405RGT6 custom board not working

frotaitalos
Associate II

Hi guys, this is my first post here on the forum. I'm starting my learning in STM and I created a custom board with a STM32F405RGT6, I followed a basic MCU operation schematic that I found in a video on Youtube, but the MCU is not starting. I did several tests to check if the USB connection was correct, if the voltages also worked well and everything is ok. However, I saw that I really don't get a clock from the crystal, the crystal I'm using is already known to me from other projects. So I'm leaving here a print of the connection schematic and if anyone can give me some light on where to look for the problem that causes the MCU to not start, I would be very grateful.😀

Captura de tela 2024-01-12 100142.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Also, I didn't notice this at first glance:

You're connecting OSC_IN and OSC_OUT to PC4 and PC5 while it should be connected to PH0 and PH1 like provided in the datasheet:

SofLit_0-1705069356147.png

I'm wondering what kind of Youtube link you're referring to!

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
liaifat85
Senior II

I think it's wise to check your PCB and troubleshoot if needed. 

SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

You need to refer to the STM32F4 hardware getting started AN4488 and refer to the schematics.

From your schematics at least VCAPx capacitors are missing:

SofLit_0-1705065893038.png

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi guy, thanks for your reply. I have already done all the checking on my PCB and the schematic is being fully respected, I am a guitar pedal manufacturer and have a lot of experience with custom boards from other MCUs (Atmel and ESP). Can you see a connection error or a pin that should have a connection and is floating in the image I attached?

TDK
Guru

Can STM32CubeProgrammer connect to it? Looks like VCAP is the only issue, but it wouldn't respond at all if that were the case. The crystal won't put out a signal until you run a program that activates it.

Design guide:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/an4488-getting-started-with-stm32f4xxxx-mcu-hardware-development-stmicroelectronics.pdf

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
SofLit
ST Employee

Forget about the crystal for now and try to run with HSI as clock source for system clock:

SofLit_0-1705066901251.png

Do you face the same issue?

My attitude must be very noob, but I was just hoping to connect the MCU via USB and some device would appear on the computer, apparently this isn't the initial step, right?

Is the connection header I created (J1) or is there a pin missing from it? I have a ST LINK-V3 MINI DEBUGGER, should I use it to do this initial MCU configuration?

I really apologize for questions that should be very simple for those who are already used to MTS, but my knowledge of these devices is really minimal.

frotaitalos
Associate II

Does the St-link V2 Mini also serve to communicate with the STM32F405RGT6?

SofLit
ST Employee

"Does the St-link V2 Mini also serve to communicate with the STM32F405RGT6?"

--> Yes

Did you fix the VCAP errors? Going to be hard if you didn't put any traces/pads on those pins. Is the voltage on VCAP ~1.2V?

Once it's set up right, you should be able to open STM32CubeProgrammer and hit connect to connect to the device.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".