cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 and external SRAM

Posted on January 06, 2016 at 12:58

Hello there,

I have a conceptual question regarding STM32F4 and external SRAM connected to it. Is it possible at any point, to work with external sram, as it would be internal, in regard to programming flow? What I mean is, can the compiller, linker and everyone else that needs to know, be told that I have external sram connected to my mcu, and that it can allocate it? Is there a software layer that does the external sram communication (pararel or spi) the way that the programmer can use it by normally assigning variables in C, instead of manually sending data there?

I would apreciate all help!
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on January 06, 2016 at 13:41

> Is there a software layer that does the external sram communication (pararel or spi) the way that the programmer can use it by normally assigning variables in C, instead of manually sending data there?

No software layer necessary for SRAM connected through FSMC/FMC. It's mapped into the processor's 4GB flat memory space. Count with decreased performance though.

Some newer models have QSPI unit which can memory-map serial memories, these are intended for serial FLASH. I was told serial SRAMs may be viable, but read only; did not try personally.

JW

Posted on January 06, 2016 at 13:49

Yes, I have seen quad spi in F7 mcu. Thank you for help.