gdp123a
Associate II
Posted on May 07, 2009 at 13:34

STM32 New Year wish list

45 REPLIES 45
picguy
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:58

A real data sheet now would be nice. Any way I could get 20 samples w/ Ethernet and DAC? The other stuff I need is very standard.

jj
Associate II

Hi STOne-32:

Re: ''Existing'' STM32s - improvements, fixes etc...

Aware that semi industry is suffering - most staffs have been reduced - however the many issues identified/listed in this thread should ''boost'' ST's Sales.

Many in your forum are smart/active - their suggestions/requests may bear greater attention. (dare I say that ''catering exclusively (seemingly) to lead clients'' - may have not produced the most favorable results for ST during the past several quarters) Your diverse forum contributors may prove a pleasant surprise - especially if their requests can be accommodated...

Wish the best to you/ST - hope that we can ''bump up'' a tad on the to-do list...

16-32micros
Associate III

Dear jj,

It is always a pleasure reading your posts 🙂 and hearing your news , I'm not forgetting this Thread despite I'm late to give an official answer for the improvements, during the last period I'm always keeping an eye on these discussions and it is really exiting for me to see that the Forum is alive and very active with many new contributors...

Cheers,

STOne-32.

picguy
Associate II

How About This Idea?

Make a Cortex-M3 with about $5 worth of Xilinx uncommitted logic. Include IP files to make standard DMA, GPIO, RS-232, I2C etc. Will need an easy way to set things up at power on. (External serial ROM?) No need to have enough uncommitted logic to build all standard peripheral blocks at once. Doing this could reduce the number of unique parts required to please everybody.

One application that I have been working on uses a Xilinx CoolRunner CPLD for moderate speed networking. Using built in CPLD functionality would save on cost and PCB space.

Many standard microcontrollers are used in environments where many features are not used. Indeed, for the application I’ve been working on I have seriously considered useing a large flash part just to get analog output. I don’t need the flash space but a pair of DACs would be nice.

obtronix
Associate II

Quote:

Many standard microcontrollers are used in environments where many features are not used. Indeed, for the application I’ve been working on I have seriously considered useing a large flash part just to get analog output. I don’t need the flash space but a pair of DACs would be nice.

Age old problem, for instance on a project I use 20K flash, 64K Ram, 1 SPI port and handful of discretes, so you can imagine the large chip I use (to get the SRAM) and the amount of stuff I'm not using.

root
Associate II
Posted on August 02, 2011 at 09:09

Hello,

My previous wishes :

- PPS (Peripheral Port Select) : I'm designing a product where pretty much everyhting can be plugged everywhere, from USART (with reverse polarity), to PWMs inputs and outputs, etc. I have to ''re-wire'' an usart through EXTI line interrupt (USART is physically connected to GPIOs that I toggle based on state change interrupt on other lines that I can configure). I used PPS on PIC24 and it really is awesome (and it ease the PCB design a LOT too).

- USART with reverse polarity : I know it's not common, bit PIC24 has a bit to switch to reverse RX polarity for USART, and FUTABA SBUS protocol is a 100 000 bps reversed polarity protocol.

And from what I've just read here :

- A chip with small flash and a lot of RAM, like 64k or 128k of FLASH and 512k or 1M of RAM. Add an inflate/deflate hardware support and you just need a small header to deflate the code stored in flash into ram, then execute user code from ram. Zero wait state everywhere. Performance wise it would be a great improvement no? You could even put 2 ram zones on different buses like ''ram_code'' and ''ram_data'' to allow parallel read/writes.

Yes, the last one is more ... ''not commercially applicable'', but I like the idea.

Don't know the compared cost of flash and ram.

PPS would be awesome, but I already like the STM32F205 very much compared to the PIC24 :D

Thomas.