cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question for STOne or anyone from ST (about USB and allocating PIDs)

pandoraems
Associate II
Posted on February 17, 2009 at 09:15

question for STOne or anyone from ST (about USB and allocating PIDs)

27 REPLIES 27
16-32micros
Associate III
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:55

Hi mudrovc,

I apologize for the long time, but we are progressing to get this service soon,

By the way could you please let me know what is your STM32 production quantities per year ? and what is the end-product name :

1) string Product and

2) string vendor

You would like to have inside the USB descriptors..

Thanks for your comprehension,

STOne-32, 🙂

jj
Associate II

Hi STOne-32,

Hope you've been well - glad to see your posts.

I may not be fully/properly informed - it is my belief that many here - like my firm - may be uncertain of their EAU. Thus we cannot give you/ST any ''real'' volume forecasts. (and the world economy intrudes too)

What I believe most seek is ''some means'' NOT to have our product look completely ''amateurish'' - due to an ''unofficial'' PID. Expect that most could live with a ''reduced cost - even better free'' temporary PID - until

the product ''finds'' its place in the market.

Thanks again for your efforts in our behalf.

Regards,

jj

[ This message was edited by: jj.sprague on 13-02-2009 00:44 ]

pandoraems
Associate II

In addition to what JJ said, besides being amateur-ish, AFAIK, it is downright illegal to sell USB devices without properly licensed PID/VID, even if the target customer is an enthusiast.

And usually, when people start to try to turn this hobby into business they have no idea of how many units they'd be selling

trevor1
Associate II

Hi pandoraems,

I didn't think this was the case hence this post:

http://www.st.com/mcu/forums-cat-8012-23.html

Regards

Trevor

gordon2
Associate II

pandoraems
Associate II

Quote:

On 16-02-2009 at 09:24, Anonymous wrote:

Hi pandoraems,

I didn't think this was the case hence this post:

http://www.st.com/mcu/forums-cat-8012-23.html

Regards

Trevor

Trevor, i am too lazy to reach for references now, but i am quite positive that it is the case as i've learned from my prior research.

Imagine a situation where you've paid your hard-earned cash for a set of PID/VID. Then someone comes to market with the same PID/VID that they've pulled out of a thin air (i.e made up and have not officially registered it)

If a user plugs both devices into his/her computer, the OS/drivers would be very confused as to how to handle the two devices with same PID/VID, and things will inevitably break.

Proper PID/VID licensing is designed to avoid these kinds of problems. (for an affordable price of $2000 or so 😉 )

trevor1
Associate II

Thanks for your response pandoraems.

I had assumed ST had a unique VID/PID combination for things like the standard CDC driver. I take it this is not the case. If not then wouldn't it be sensible for ST to provide a PID/VID combination for standard drivers like the CDC driver that everyone using ST CDC driver could use? I assume there is no technical reason this could not be done.

Sorry if I'm restating what the thread is already about

:-?

Nickname12657_O
Associate III

Dear Gordon

Yes, we provide USB PIDs sublicensing service to our small customers who has no budget to be member at USB-IF and tp pay the USB-IF membership. 

Please Contact your local ST sales and marketing office for more information on this service.  we will re-contact your shortly while providing some details about your applications and used STM32 device for your design.

Cheers,

STOne-32.

gordon2
Associate II

Excellent. Thank you.

gordon2
Associate II

ST's sales office in UK says thay don't do this.

They say try a technical distributor, which I shall do.

G.