cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NUCLEO-F411RE Openocd "Cannot identify target as a STM32 family."

MLaur.2
Associate

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to learn rust embedded thanks to 3 stm32 based developpement board :

• Nucleo with STM32F103RB
  • STM32F3DISCOVERY
  • Nucleo with STM32F411RE

I have no issue with the first two ones but I can not make work the F411RE with gdb & openocd. Everytime I try to flash (the same program that works fine with the two others) I receive this :

Openocd :

openocd -f interface/stlink.cfg -f target/stm32f3x.cfg
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.11.0
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
Info : Listening on port 6666 for tcl connections
Info : Listening on port 4444 for telnet connections
Info : clock speed 1000 kHz
Info : STLINK V2J33M25 (API v2) VID:PID 0483:374B
Info : Target voltage: 3.261538
Info : stm32f3x.cpu: hardware has 6 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints
Info : starting gdb server for stm32f3x.cpu on 3333
Info : Listening on port 3333 for gdb connections
Info : accepting 'gdb' connection on tcp/3333
Info : device id = 0x10006431
Warn : Cannot identify target as a STM32 family.
Error: auto_probe failed
Error: Connect failed. Consider setting up a gdb-attach event for the target to prepare target for GDB connect, or use 'gdb_memory_map disable'.
Error: attempted 'gdb' connection rejected

As you can see my board is detected but as soon as I try to connect to GDB, the board is not recognized.

Just so that you can check memory parameter :

FLASH : ORIGIN =   0x08000000, LENGTH = 512K
  RAM : ORIGIN = 0x20000000, LENGTH = 128K

I don't really know what to do knowing that it works very well on an other nucleo with an ARM cortex M3 and also with an other board but this time with an ARM cortex M4F.

Thank you for your help

1 REPLY 1
Sarra.S
ST Employee

Hello @MLaur.2​ and welcome to the Community

You may want to try a few steps:

1) make sure your connections are correct and that the F411RE is correctly set up. You'll also want to check that you have the correct firmware version installed, and that your OpenOCD configuration is correct.

2) try to replace some of the drivers or try a different version of OpenOCD. If that doesn't work, you can look into installing the ST-Link utility and use that to flash.

3) if all the above fails, you can try manually loading the program into the F411RE using the STM32Cube Programmer.

Hope that helps!

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.