cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ST out of MCU business?

snigg
Associate III

I cant seem to find any source for STM32 MCUs in any significant quantity. It seems ST stopped production and I find no evidence it will get better soon. Developing on STM32 platform seems like betting on a dead horse. Are we the only ones struggling with the past decision to use STM32 MCUs? Our business took damaged by the supply shortage and nobody will pay for this damage.

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

How have you not noticed that ALL chips companies are suffering supply issues? Demand is far outpacing supply.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Actually, I think all their capacity is booked and paid for through the next 3 to 4 Quarters, with Non-Cancelable, Non-Returnable orders already in hand..

So no, I don't think they are out-of-business, or lacking for business.

It might cause a significant reflection in the role "distributors" play and the whole just-in-time, build-to-order, and scant warehousing and inventory.

And on the customer side, the purchasing/planning roles.

Right now all the parts brokers, speculative buyers, and hedge-funds hold the cards, they are probably looking for 4x or 5x pricing for their inventories.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
PHolt.1
Senior III

I am sure this purely speculative/panic bubble will explode around the end of this year.

No shortage of passives, so no new demand for end products. This is just people going crazy.

Distributors have not offered added value for decades. Staffed by totally clueless people who cannot even tell you which 0805 10k 1% resistor they have in stock.

snigg
Associate III

I truly hope that this bubble (and I hope it really is one) will implode soon and in doing so ruin some speculators.

Yet I fail to see any information from the manufactures what they are doing and if they think they did a good job lately. I mean ST is not only one seemingly "completely handling it the wrong way" let's say.

I agree on the distributors side but I also recognize it to be very price sensitiv area.