cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to create a new core for a custom arduino board. I heard ST has support on arduino but I am not pretty sure for a starting point for a new core/non variant ST MCU. Would there be any documentation available. Thanks,

BSenz.1
Associate II

4 REPLIES 4
ChahinezC
Lead

Hello @BSenz.1​,

You can refer to the following resources:

I hope they help you.

Chahinez.

BSenz.1
Associate II

Hello ChaninezC,

Actually, this is more about generating the core for arduino from scratch.

Do you know if there is any tutorial on how to create the core from scratch or is this more about looking at how the other MCUs were included and copying and adjusting the code?

Thanks a lot for the links

When free-climbing don't expect there to be ropes, and that others on the mountain are focused on their own ascent, not explaining where you should put your hands and feet.

The model of how other variants for ATMEL/MICROCHIP are built should be an adequate enough template for most capable of doing the porting work.

Understand the platform and its expectations via thorough code review of things which are already working/functional, and become a chameleon..

The STM32dunio people have done it for STM32 parts, the Arduino Portenta H7 is another.

Once upon a long time ago there was the Arduino OTTO STAR

But as I understand it you'll need to make the pin level variant portions, the interrupt/table start-up code stuff, including the main code calling the setup() and loop() functionality, C++ constructor stuff, memory allocation, low level setup and interrupts, and then build of the core functionality for serial, gpio, timers, pwm, adc, dac, etc to get some semblance of functionality. And glue together all the txt and configuration files so it integrates the board nicely in the IDE.

AdaFruit has done this nicely with a lot of their ARM boards.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Yes of course,

That last piece of text has been by far the best public stuff on the Web on how to get started...

The thing is more about if there was some start guide or procedure or some order for this but I understand climbing is not always easy things, but it is bettter if you have more equipment to be prepared...

Thank you for your comments and feedback.