cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tweak the sample applications provided in SDK for a ST development board to be applied for a custom board?

KK.4
Associate II

Hello,

I am new to ST development ecosystem. I want to use the sample applications(specific to a dev kit) provided as part of the cube expansion packages for our custom board. Any help on the steps or a reference to a document on tweaking existing applications would be more helpful.

Ex. X-CUBE-DSPDEMO software expansion package has application project for discovery boards (STM32F746-DISCO  & STM32F429I-DISCO). How can I modify and use the same for a custom board based on STM32L072 MCU?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
KnarfB
Principal III

ST uses Board Support Packages for board-level components and Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for on-chip components. Its easy to start a new STM32 project with HAL support in STM32CubeIDE. If you need board-level components, you can write a BSP for your board (at least covering the components you need) and/or use the existing BSPs as a blueprint. See X-CUBE-DSPDEMO\Drivers\BSP for example source code.

Note that note that HAL and even more BSP+HAL are doing software abstractions. This has impact on the max. achievable performance. Also, those interfaces do not cover each and every detail of all chips/components. But it should give you a solid jump start.