cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For STOP2, Is it necessary to disable unused peripherals?

ejb068
Associate II

Hi,

I'm using a NUCLEO-L452RE and wanted to check out current in different low power modes.

With only the basic pins configured, I can measure <7uA in Stop2. Not bad.

using: 

HAL_PWREx_EnterSTOP2Mode(PWR_STOPENTRY_WFI);

Problem I have is if I configure the 4 UART ports, an I2C port, etc... then go to stop mode 2, my current is between 200 and 1000uA, depending on what I have configured in the IOC file.

Since I'm going to stop mode 2, most of these devices can't be used. Is it really necessary to disable all unused peripherals before I enter stop mode 2? I probably assumed wrong that I could leave them configured assuming they'd not be powered in this low power state.

I've run some tests where I call:

HAL_UART_MspDeInit(&huart1);

HAL_UART_MspDeInit(&huart2);

HAL_UART_MspDeInit(&huart3);

before going to stop2, and I see major current improvements. Do I need to do this for all peripherals that can't be used in stop mode 2, then re-enable them on wake-up? 

I couldn't find a good example that specifically shows that this needs to be done, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

11 REPLIES 11

Hi Sarra,

Any further advise? Is the correct procedure to enter stop mode 2 to set all un-needed pins to analog input before sleep, then set them back to their respective functions on wake-up? Or is there a better method?

Thanks!

ejb068
Associate II

I don't have confirmation on the correct procedure to implement before and after stop 2 low power mode. I have found that if I don't disable the UART/I2C/QSPI peripherals before this low power mode, the current consumption is ~600uA vs ~2.6uA when I do disable them.

I'm looking to determine if this is the correct procedure using the HAL interface. Please confirm or correct as needed.

//stop mode 2

//disable unused peripherals

HAL_UART_MspDeInit(&huart1);

HAL_UART_MspDeInit(&huart2);

HAL_UART_MspDeInit(&huart3);

HAL_UART_MspDeInit(&hlpuart1);

HAL_I2C_MspDeInit(&hi2c1);

HAL_QSPI_MspDeInit(&hqspi);

//enter stop mode 2

HAL_PWREx_EnterSTOP2Mode(PWR_STOPENTRY_WFI);

//re-enable clocks

SystemClock_Config();