cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find a simple solution to identify one of two boards I am using

JMüll.1
Associate II

I am a student who is currently doing his bachelor thesis. My job is to control two microcontrollers (Nucleo-STM32F411RE) via Bluetooth (X-Nucleo-BNRG2A1) in order to transfer parameter values for a system. The idea now is to use the same program on the two microcontrollers. For this purpose, there should be a possibility in the initialization phase to be able to differentiate between the two boards in a simple way in order to then be able to continue with the further initialization that is correct for the board. Is there an easy way how to make the boards distinguishable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

In hardware, this can be done by grounding a pin on one board and not the other. Then, you can use a pullup on that pin and read its state to see which board is which. This can also be done with a jumper or DIP switch.

You could also use the unique ID of the chip itself, but you'll need to hardcode those values within the code.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TDK
Guru

In hardware, this can be done by grounding a pin on one board and not the other. Then, you can use a pullup on that pin and read its state to see which board is which. This can also be done with a jumper or DIP switch.

You could also use the unique ID of the chip itself, but you'll need to hardcode those values within the code.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Each has a Unique ID​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
JMüll.1
Associate II

Thank you very much. This is what I needed.