cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cortex M4 upgrade with STMG0 QFN32/48 pinout

flyer31
Senior

Hi, thank you very much for the STM32G0 series, this really is very nice.

Just for some applications I would need optioinally more CPU power, esepecially divide and best also floating point (so Cortex M3/M4 woudl be nice).

I do NOT need higher speed / higher clock frequency... 48MHz is fine for these applications. (I am a bit bewildered that STM32G431 has such different pinout - is this a "sacrifice" for the 170 MHz? ... it would be really nice, if some future STM32G4 chips might use the STM32G0 pinout for easy PCB upgrade options...).

Are there some plans possibly to release some future M3/M4 chips with STM32G0 pinout?

PS: It would be nice to have an STM32 application note, I would be mainly interested in QFN32 and QFN48 so far ... the STM32L and STM32F seem to use a layout where in QFN48 the NRST is on Pin 7, whereas in STM32G0 this is on Pin 10 ... are there only these two basic layouts, or are there more...?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Even if the Cortex-M3 is still used for devices that are already in production (and thanks to the Product Longevity Program this will be for at least 10 more years) there will be no new STM32 anymore based on Cortex-M3.

Yes, the pinout of the STM32G differs from the STML/F due to the additional features:

• the G0 provide much more GPIO thanks to e.g. the reduced number of supply pins, so the G0 is not p2p compatible with L0/F0, but provides much more resources with the same package
  • the G4 also provides more GPIO but is neither p2p compatible with G0 nor with F4/L4

Regarding your P.S.: has already been answered in point 1 above.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select it best.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Even if the Cortex-M3 is still used for devices that are already in production (and thanks to the Product Longevity Program this will be for at least 10 more years) there will be no new STM32 anymore based on Cortex-M3.

Yes, the pinout of the STM32G differs from the STML/F due to the additional features:

• the G0 provide much more GPIO thanks to e.g. the reduced number of supply pins, so the G0 is not p2p compatible with L0/F0, but provides much more resources with the same package
  • the G4 also provides more GPIO but is neither p2p compatible with G0 nor with F4/L4

Regarding your P.S.: has already been answered in point 1 above.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select it best.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
flyer31
Senior

Thank you for clear answer.

the larger number of GPIOs and the ADs really is very convincing for STM32G0 ...

Optional Cortex M4 "chip exchange possibility" anyway would be nice of course ... but of course all very difficult, I understand!