cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start a motor with heavy load

Roberto Giovinetti
Associate III

Hello everybody

I'm using MotorControl Workbench and Motor Control SDK 5.4.1.

I need to control some power tools up to currents of 40A peak. I developed a board similar to IHM08M1 and I'm very satisfied of the power delivered to motors. There's only a "little" problem: I should improve the behavior at heavy loads when motor has to startup, because I noticed that in this case it fails to start. I've a linear ramp of 750ms in which motor moves from 0 rpm to 1650 rpm (15% of nominal speed at free load) and the final current in this phase is the nominal current (so the max current we can give to the motor).

Could be a practical solution create a phase in which current rumps up very quickly to nominal value and desired speed moves from 0 rpm to a little value in a brief time? After that phase I would add a phase in which current is still constant at the maximum value and speed moves from the previous little value to the 15% of nominal speed to exit from open loop mechanism.

Did anybody try a solution like this? Or maybe there's a better way?

Thank you very much for support.

Roberto

13 REPLIES 13

​Hello Skywork,

Sorry I am not sure I understood your question. Do you have problem with hall sensor ? Or do you want to remove them?

Thanks and best regards,

Claire

Hello @Claire OKU​ 

I have the similar issue under FOC + hall sensor situation, I will meet that the motor will shake when climbing the hill with heavy loading

Is there any method to improve this situation

thanks

SkyWork
Associate III

Hello @Claire OKU​ 

I means that I using hall sensor + FOC to drive the BLDC motor, but I still have issue under heavy load startup situation

Is there anyway to solve this issue

thanks

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

The question has been set only to the "STM32 Motor Control" topic (the question is only about the STM32 MC SDK). 

Best regards