cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on regenerative Braking for electric vehicles.

VD.3
Associate II

I am really struggling hard to understand the regenerative braking for electric vehicles for 48V systems. My main doubt is if the motor back emf is less than battery voltage, how does it do generation. The motor is PMSM with sinusoidal back emf and i am trying to control using FOC. Please advise. Basic explanation and any websites or articles will really help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MBake.4
Associate II

In order to brake you need to apply torque in the opposite direction, current needs to flow out of the motor rather than in. The current regulators and svpwm will apply a voltage to the windings to achieve the desired current, in this case a negative iq.

To answer the actual question, when in the off phase of pwm the windings are essentially shorted, allowing the back-emf to produce a current through them. There is now energy stored in the magnetic field. When switching to the on phase, the current still wants to flow, and will produce the voltage necessary to flow back onto the dc bus.

Its kind of analogous to a boost converter, where the windings are the inductor.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MM..1
Chief II

You need for example AC DC step up converter for brake recharge.

MBake.4
Associate II

In order to brake you need to apply torque in the opposite direction, current needs to flow out of the motor rather than in. The current regulators and svpwm will apply a voltage to the windings to achieve the desired current, in this case a negative iq.

To answer the actual question, when in the off phase of pwm the windings are essentially shorted, allowing the back-emf to produce a current through them. There is now energy stored in the magnetic field. When switching to the on phase, the current still wants to flow, and will produce the voltage necessary to flow back onto the dc bus.

Its kind of analogous to a boost converter, where the windings are the inductor.