cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hall encoder voltage on STEVAL-SPIN3201

gingerologist
Associate II

I have an STEVAL-SPIN3201 board and want to connect it to a motor with Hall encoder.

According to the user manual, the Hall encoder power supply could be 5V from USB or 3.3V from VDD, setting by JP3 (defaults to USB 5V). In the schematic, Hall signals 1/2/3 are connected to PA0/PA1/PA2 pins via 1k resistors, respectively. They are also pulled up to VDD by 10k resistor, in case that the Hall outputs are not pulled up internally. There are also R59/R60/R61 footprints but not populated, which may be used to divide the hall output to proper voltage for MCU pins.

I have no idea what the Hall output voltage would be, 3.3V, 5V, or something else, from my motor (no document).

My question is, if the motor outputs 5V hall signals, will the MCU be damaged? What is the general advice for connecting this board to a new motor without detailed document? Start from 3.3V supply? install resistors on R59/R60/R61 before trying to drive the motor? I just wonder how you guys deal with it normally. I am an embedded software developer and this is the first time I try a motor control board. Hope these newbie questions won't bother anybody.

spin3201-sch--3.png

0 REPLIES 0