cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVAL6480H Speed Issues

aoswalt
Associate

Hello Everyone,

I'm having issues with the EVAL6480H making a bipolar stepper motor spin faster than 800steps/s without losing steps or triggering the OCD. The current motor driver we use handles 1500steps/s at the same voltage and current specs with ease so I'm a bit surprised to be having this issue with a driver that is much more capable on paper.

My set up:

STEVAL-PCC009V2 connected to the computer with a USB-A to USB-mini B cable and connected to the EVAL6480H with the included 10pin IDC ribbon cable.

EVAL6480H supplied by bench power supply set to 24V and 2.8A max.

Bipolar stepper motor (NEMA23 x 56mm, 1.8 degrees/step, 3.2V, 2.8A) connected to the output of EVAL6480H, OUTA to phase A and OUTB to phase B.

Using the SPINFamily Evaluation Software to configure and control the EVAL6480H. I've also purchased the ST-Link/v2-Isol tool and updated the firmware on the STEVAL-PCC009V2 to v2.7.

What I've tried:

I've tried going through all the configurations for the L6480H chip that the SPINFamily Evaluation Software provides. I've also read through the datasheet and application notes on the L6480H product page and looked for similar threads in this forum, though I wasn't able to find any with my particular issue.  Attached are the files of the configs that should work the best according to the software. I've also tried manually testing through all PWM frequencies and a range of duty cycles without any improvement.

If you have any advice on how to resolve my issues, please let me know. For now I’m a bit stuck as I can’t verify the L6480 chip is able to drive my bipolar stepper motor correctly.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @aoswalt and welcome to the ST Community.

Attachments are missing so I cannot verify the setup.

It could be a problem with mechanical resonances of the motor. The voltage mode driving of L6480 is particularly sensitive to these effects that distort the BEMF and can lead to stalling. The suggestion is to test the motor with a minimum mechanical load capable of damping the resonances.

Let me know if these info are useful to you.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @aoswalt and welcome to the ST Community.

Attachments are missing so I cannot verify the setup.

It could be a problem with mechanical resonances of the motor. The voltage mode driving of L6480 is particularly sensitive to these effects that distort the BEMF and can lead to stalling. The suggestion is to test the motor with a minimum mechanical load capable of damping the resonances.

Let me know if these info are useful to you.