cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage of System Bootloader via USB of STM32F723IEK6

Rookie38
Associate III

Hello ST Community,

in a software project I want to transfer data, which are stored on a SD card, via USB High Speed to a computer. Another requirement is to update the microcontroller using a PC software. For this I want to integrate the CubeProgrammer CLI in my own software, so that i can easily update the microcontroller via the internal STM32 DFU USB bootloader.

According to AN 2606 I understand that only via USB Full Speed and not via High Speed the internal bootloader can be accessed. The controller has an internal PHY. The Discovery Board 32F723EDISCOVERY has two separate Micro-AB connectors, each for HS and FS. The updating via USB FS works. Now I would like to design my own PCB.

Is it possible to use USB HS and the internal bootloader together and if not, is it possible to connect both FS (for the bootloader) and HS (for the faster data transfer) to the same USB connector? Unfortunately I lack the electrotechnical expertise for this as well as the foresight if such a double operation could cause any problems in my application.

When the update process is supposed to start, I technically jump software to the internal bootloader, then USB FS is supposed to become active to update. During the application, only USB HS will be used. All this via a single USB connector.

1 REPLY 1
Rookie38
Associate III

After searching for a while, I don't find much information that running USB FS and HS on a single USB connector is common. Nevertheless, I can't see any counter argument why it shouldn't work, since at one point of the application either HS or FS is used.