cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32G0B0: Prevent bootloader execution after RDP regression from level 1 to 0 and OBL causing mass erase and system reset

DaMCU
Associate II

Hello,

I would like to know how to prevent the execution of the on chip bootloader after a RDP regression from level 1 to level 0. After the necessary option byte load (OBL) a mass erase is done and the chip is reset and after the reset the bootloader is executed.

Since I am programming all option bytes, I have played with different values for option bits nBOOT0, nBOOT1 and nBOOT_SEL but no combination will do the trick...

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DaMCU
Associate II

I discovered a little trick to circumvent the problem: I just program the bits nBOOT0, nBOOT1 and nBoot_SEL bits to select boot from SRAM before doing the RDP regression. This bypasses the empty check and prevents bootloader execution successfully. After flash programming is complete, I just reprogram those bits to select boot from flash and that's it 😉

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

> after a RDP regression from level 1 to level 0

How do you do that?

> After the necessary option byte load (OBL) a mass erase is done and the chip is reset

'G0B0 implements the FLASH empty check/AN2606 pattern 11 bootloader entry. So either program the FLASH immediately after the bulkerase, without reset; or set the option bits influencing bootloader entry so that they prevent bootoader entry upon empty flash.

JW

OK I see BOOT_LOCK is not described in RM0454.

You may want to try following RM0444.

JW

Well STM32G0B0 doesn't have the FLASH_SECR register, so no BOOT_LOCK available. That was the first thing I checked... 😉

> How do you do that?

I'm using SEGGER J-Flash utility together with Flasher ATE programmer. With this you can define init and exit steps for programming the target. Im doing the regression in the init steps:

• Unlock FLASH_CR::LOCK
  • Unlock FLASH_CR::OPTLOCK
  • Write 0xDFFFE1AA into FLASH_OPTR
  • Write 0x0000007F into FLASH_WRP1AR, FLASH_WRP1BR, FLASH_WRP2AR, FLASH_WRP2BR
  • Clear error flags in FLASH_SR by writing 0x000083FB
  • Waiting until flash is ready by checking FLASH_SR::BSY1, FLASH_SR::BSY2, FLASH_SR::CFGBSY flags
  • Start option bytes programming by setting FLASH_CR::OPTSTRT bit
  • Waiting until flash is ready by checking FLASH_SR::BSY1, FLASH_SR::BSY2, FLASH_SR::CFGBSY flags
  • Do option bytes loading by setting FLASH_CR::OBL_LAUNCH
  • Reset and hold

The bootloader is active between the last two steps.

With these steps I can change the option bits FLASH_OPTR::nBOOT0, FLASH_OPTR::nBOOT1 and FLASH_OPTR::nBOOT_SEL, but none of the 8 possible combinations prevent the bootloader from executing!

Then there's probably no other way than to program the first word of FLASH to non-FFFFFFFF.

JW

Well, the flash will be programmed after finishing the init steps anyway, but between two of those init steps (see my other post: between OBL and reset and hold) the bootloader is active. That is what I'm trying to prevent. The bootloader is not running after the reset and hold step...

IMO you should be able to perform all these operations while being under reset all the time, but I am no expert on the boot sequence. You should perhaps talk to Segger.

JW

DaMCU
Associate II

I discovered a little trick to circumvent the problem: I just program the bits nBOOT0, nBOOT1 and nBoot_SEL bits to select boot from SRAM before doing the RDP regression. This bypasses the empty check and prevents bootloader execution successfully. After flash programming is complete, I just reprogram those bits to select boot from flash and that's it 😉

Interesting trick, thanks for sharing.

JW