cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SWO-related differences between STM32H723ZG and STM32H743ZI

PTiha
Senior

Hello,

I made a minimal project with the NUCLEO-H723ZG board, in which I also used SWO printf.

The project is all about generating and writing out a random number every 500 ms in the main cycle.

Debugging in STM32CubeIDE with ST-LINK/V3 and J-Link Edu also provides completely invaluable data.

Although I only use ITM channel 0, DWT-Comparator data is displayed in LOG ... ???

The MCU clock is 400MHz and the SWO divider has also been carefully set.

I did the same project on a NUCLEO-H743ZI2 board (the newer ST-LINK/V3 release) and it works perfectly with ST-LINK/V3 and J-Link EDU as well.

I extended both projects with SEGGER RTT printf and tried to debug with Ozone:Only RTT is visible with NUCLEO-H723ZG, SWO also works with NUCLEO-H743ZI2.

At this point, I rule out an error in the STM32CubeIDE or ST-LINK/V3, the problem must be somewhere in the difference between the two MCUs.

Software versions used: J-Link V6.98a, Ozone V3.22b

I attach the two .elf files, both loaded into RAM.

Thank you very much in advance!

0693W000008wH6FQAU.png0693W000008wH69QAE.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cross linking related posts/topics https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000bebkzSAA/nucleoh723zg-itm-printf-swv-problems

The H743 was originally conceived as a dual core device, there is a lot of clutter and complexity in there related to that. The H723 is likely a cleaner single core implementation. Expect it to have subtly different registers and plumbing.

There isn't a SWTF also

Expect different DBGMCU registers, addresses and units. Would definitely suggest unpacking the ROM Tables and seeing exactly what units/options where implemented.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PTiha
Senior

Anyone have any idea about the problem?

The debug infrastructure block diagram shows that TSG is missing from STM32H723ZG.

There are other differences too. Can these differences cause that problem?

0693W000008wQetQAE.png0693W000008wQeoQAE.png

Cross linking related posts/topics https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000bebkzSAA/nucleoh723zg-itm-printf-swv-problems

The H743 was originally conceived as a dual core device, there is a lot of clutter and complexity in there related to that. The H723 is likely a cleaner single core implementation. Expect it to have subtly different registers and plumbing.

There isn't a SWTF also

Expect different DBGMCU registers, addresses and units. Would definitely suggest unpacking the ROM Tables and seeing exactly what units/options where implemented.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..