cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F429VIT6 Connection Bare Metal

AShah.12
Associate II

Hello, I am working on the project from scratch. I would like to know what are the minimum connections I will need for the STM32F429VIT6 in order to program? I have segger J-Link which I will be using. so far I have connect SWCLK (Pin 76), SWDIO (Pin 72), TDI (Pin 77), NJTRST (pin 90), and Vref 3.3V (Pin 75) and VSS (GND) (Pin 74). Is that the bare minimum connection I will need to connect the board and start programming? I did check the Datasheet, Ref manual and programming guide but I am not 100% sure. I am getting an error.0693W00000WKb2bQAD.png0693W00000WKb2WQAT.png

15 REPLIES 15
TDK
Guru

SWD requires SWDIO+SWCLK+GND. J-Link supports SWD, I'd try that.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
AScha.3
Chief II

yes, i do same, just using stlink2 .

minimum to connect is: SWDIO+SWCLK+GND - as tdk said.

+ RST , if using it by j-link.

and all power pins vss, vdd, vdda must be used, with some cer.caps.

ah..

+ in debug config. -> select SWD + "software system reset" ! ( <- for stlink )

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
AShah.12
Associate II

Hello TDK and AScha.3 I tried the SWD setting and connected SWDIO+SWCLK+GND but still no luck. can you please guide what are the minimum connections like VDD, VSS, Vcap1, Vcap2, etc?

Please see the attached pinouts. I am having a hunch that I am not biasing properly. Because the error message says "Could not connect to target. Please check power, connection and settings.".0693W00000WKgSAQA1.png

If it’s a custom board, sounds like a layout issue or wrong part orientation. Post schematic if you can.
Don’t read too much into the generic error messages.
AShah.12
Associate II

There is no custom board it is pretty much like extension board for LQFP100 pinouts. pretty much like breadboard. Do I need to connect all the VDD and VSS of the board to +3.3V and GND? I want to know what are the minimum pinouts I have to connect in order to bias properly? I used 100nf caps for Vcap1 and Vcap2 and connected to the ground.

AScha.3
Chief II

>like VDD, VSS, Vcap1, Vcap2, .. all of these, and correct cer.caps on vdd, vcapx .

i told you: ALL power pins !

+

boot0 to GND

, on RST a 10..100nf cap

+

see as reference : the circuit of a discovery board.

TDK
Guru

Sure sounds like a custom board to me.

There are a variety of sources to get this info. Datasheet, ST board schematic, or the stm32f4 hardware guide.

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/dm00115714-getting-started-with-stm32f4xxxx-mcu-hardware-development-stmicroelectronics.pdf

VCAP1 VCAP2 need bulk capacitance, so likely 2u2 each, or bonded together with one 4u7

Aren't there power/wiring diagrams in the Data Sheet?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Sounds like tacking flying wires to a handful of pins to me.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..