cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it ok to keep unused pins of STM32G071C8T6 controller floating?

VSira
Associate II

Hello,

In one of my application, I am using stm32g071c8t6 controller and 10-pins of controller are not utilized. I am having space constraint in PCB layout. Will it be fine if I keep all unused pins floating instead of pulling up/down using resistor?

3 REPLIES 3
TDK
Guru

Yes, it's perfectly fine, as long as the pins that matter (power, NRST, BOOT0, etc.) are correct.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @VSira​ ,

The answer to your question is in AN5096: Getting started with STM32G0 Series hardware development. Here an extract:

0693W000004J9XrQAK.png

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

gregstm
Senior III

If power consumption matters to you, make sure they are not floating inputs. Thankfully you don't need an external resistor to do this. Setting their mode as push-pull (low) is probably the most secure method (which will still allows you to use them as diagnostics later if needed - rather than physically connecting them to ground). I've had cases where using the weak internal pull-down (with input mode) still caused unexpected current consumption.