cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L476RG in combination with NFC 4 Click

Anej Knez
Associate II

Hi guys,

I'm new to this. I'm using STM32L476RG in combination with NFC 4 Click. I downloaded the X-CUBE-NFC6 but when i go to read an NFC Tag nothing happens. NFC 4 Click device has ben succesfully initialized. They are connected using I2C. What am I doing wrong?

Brgd,

Anej

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

yes, the interrupt is needed for proper operation (regarding your issue, having the interrupt not connected was my guess...).

I would recommend to check the MCU<->SR25R3916 connections by having a look on table 1 in UM2615.

The interrupt has to be connected on PA0 (CN8.1).

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

In order to use I2C communication, make sure to follow §3.5.1 in the UM2616.

In particular, "You have to use the pre-processor compilation flag RFAL_USE_I2C and rename USE_HAL_SPI_REGISTER_CALLBACKS by USE_HAL_I2C_REGISTER_CALLBACKS, if needed, to activate the I²C driver compilation. "

If the I2C communication is OK, make sure to have ST25R3916 interrupt pin being properly connected. This can be checked by enabling ST25R_SELFTEST define. Just recompile with ST25R_SELFTEST being defined and run the FW from the debugger and check the return code of st25r3916Initialize (likely it will return ERR_TIMEOUT from line 183 of st25r3916.c).

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Anej Knez
Associate II

Hi,

thanks a lot for the reply. I renamed the USE_HAL_I2C_REGISTER_CALLBACKS.

I do not even have an inetrrupt connected. I now see it is mandatory. To where do I connect it on the STM32L476RG side?

Thank you so much for your help.

Rgds,

Anej

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

yes, the interrupt is needed for proper operation (regarding your issue, having the interrupt not connected was my guess...).

I would recommend to check the MCU<->SR25R3916 connections by having a look on table 1 in UM2615.

The interrupt has to be connected on PA0 (CN8.1).

Rgds

BT

Anej Knez
Associate II

Thank you so much. Now it is working like it should.

Could not do it with out you.

Rgrd,

Anej

Anej Knez
Associate II

Hi again,

I now connected 4 NFC 4 Click Modules via 74HC138 to I2C1 bus. But I am having issues with 4 interrupts. They are connected to pins PA0, PA1, PA4 and PA6. How do I define 4 interrupts and tell the program to listen for them?

rgrd, Anej

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

basically, you have to configure the related GPIO in GPIO_MODE_IT_RISING thanks to HAL_GPIO_Init. You will find an example of currently used PA0 configuration in I2C1_MspInit() in STM32CubeExpansion_NFC6_V1.1.0\Projects\STM32L476RG-Nucleo\Applications\PollingTagDetect\Src\nucleo_l476rg_bus.c lines 1270-1275.

I suggest to simply replace line 1271 by:

gpioinitstruct.Pin    = BUS_I2C1_IRQ_GPIO_PIN | GPIO_PIN_1 | GPIO_PIN_4 | GPIO_PIN_6;

Then you have to configure the NVIC Interrupt Controller accordingly for the EXTI0_IRQn, EXTI1_IRQn, EXTI4_IRQn and EXTI9_5_IRQn interrupt lines. See I2C1_MspInit() in STM32CubeExpansion_NFC6_V1.1.0\Projects\STM32L476RG-Nucleo\Applications\PollingTagDetect\Src\nucleo_l476rg_bus.c lines 1284-1286:

I suggest to simply add the following lines after line 1286

HAL_NVIC_SetPriority(EXTI1_IRQn, BSP_I2C1_IRQ_PRIO, 0);

HAL_NVIC_EnableIRQ(EXTI1_IRQn);

HAL_NVIC_SetPriority(EXTI4_IRQn , BSP_I2C1_IRQ_PRIO, 0);

HAL_NVIC_EnableIRQ(EXTI4_IRQn );

HAL_NVIC_SetPriority(EXTI9_5_IRQn , BSP_I2C1_IRQ_PRIO, 0);

HAL_NVIC_EnableIRQ(EXTI9_5_IRQn );

Then, add EXTI1_IRQHandler(void), EXTI4_IRQHandler(void) and EXTI9_5_IRQHandler(void) interrupt handlers in STM32CubeExpansion_NFC6_V1.1.0\Projects\STM32L476RG-Nucleo\Applications\PollingTagDetect\Src\stm32l4xx_it.c. See EXTI0_IRQHandler(void) for an example.

Note that the RFAL is designed to run a single instance of the reader. In a multi instance context, you will have to do some adaptation. Do you plan to use the 4 readers only sequentially or the 4 of them at the same time?

Rgds

BT