cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST25R3916 and ST25R3916B possible default analog config issue

ryan1881
Associate

I am currently using a mix of ST25R3916 and ST25R3916B with ST25RFAL002 v2.8.0.

In the default analog config table for the 3916 (rfalAnalogConfigTbl.h), under CHIP_INIT, there is an undocumented register that is being configured:

0x84U, 0x10, 0x10          /* Avoid chip internal overheat protection */

This does not appear in the default analog config table for the 3916B.  It seems like disabling overheat protection is probably not what is intended since I don't see anything in the errata about any issues with overheat protection.  That is just my assumption though, so I wanted to get some clarification on why this was being configured.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

the default ST25R3916-nonB analog configuration uses this internal overheat protection setting for normal operation. It should be kept if you have custom analog config.

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

The setting 0x84U, 0x10, 0x10 is specific for the ST25R3916-nonB. See §2.4 in AN5584 ST25R39xx NFC reader thermal design for more information.

Rgds
BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Ah, I see that now.  AN5584 makes it seem like setting that register is just for measuring driver resistance.  Does it need to be set for normal operation as well?

Hi,

the default ST25R3916-nonB analog configuration uses this internal overheat protection setting for normal operation. It should be kept if you have custom analog config.

Rgds

BT

Please see also DS12484 ch. 4.1: "To prevent the internal overheat protection to trigger below the junction temperature, the 3-byte frame FCh / 04h / 10h (register access / address / value) has to be sent after power-on and Set default command"

Regards, Ulysses