cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC Charging: The Tiniest Solution for Wireless Charging

Schuyler
Senior

I want to know the wireless power supply principle of NFC WLC, can I verify the effectiveness of wireless power supply through ST25DV series? Where the listener has a power receiver, how to achieve wireless charging?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Berenice BENVEGUDA
ST Employee

Hi,

The WLC feature needs an MCU combined with ST25DV to charge a battery. If the goal at the end is to get power in battery to power another MCU it is not the right approach. EH of ST25DV is more suitable for that purpose as it uses power got on ST25DV antenna to transmit it through EH pin.

Please look at the previous posts and follow recommendations already given to you,

Best Regards,

BB

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Rene Lenerve
ST Employee

Hi @Schuyler ,

WLC is a standard defined by the NFC Forum and is aimed for battery charging, this standard defined 4 class of Power (250mW, 500mW, 750mW, 1000mW). The ST25DV is not able to work for WLC alone, it needs to be used in combination of an MCU and some hardware for Tag protection (500mW to 1W directly applied to the Tag will destroyed it) and to rectified the voltage of the RF Field.

I hope this can help you.

kind Regards.

Hi @Rene Lenerve 

I really need to transfer energy and data through ST25, hundreds of watts of energy can ensure the successful operation of L4. I need to know whether EH energy collection or NFC WLC is needed to power L4 with energy obtained through NFC. At present, the EH I use is not enough to successfully power L4, and the power is too small, so I need to obtain more energy through the antenna to power MCU

kind Regards.

Hi,

As already said by Rene, NFC WLC is for battery charging, not to power MCU.NFC WLC does not seem to be the solution for your needs.

Best Regards,

BB

Schuyler
Senior

Hi @Berenice BENVEGUDA 

Yes, as you said, I need to use NFC to charge the battery, and the obtained power can be used to power the MCU, so as to achieve the function of powering the MCU without power supply, so are there relevant examples? What battery do I need to use, and how do I use NFC to charge the battery?

Berenice BENVEGUDA
ST Employee

Hi,

The WLC feature needs an MCU combined with ST25DV to charge a battery. If the goal at the end is to get power in battery to power another MCU it is not the right approach. EH of ST25DV is more suitable for that purpose as it uses power got on ST25DV antenna to transmit it through EH pin.

Please look at the previous posts and follow recommendations already given to you,

Best Regards,

BB