cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M24LR04E-R data transfer speed

JHyld.1
Associate

Hi,

We are testing the M24LR04E-R with NDEF messages and find the speed very slow.

We are currently using Android, but we see the same behaviour with iOS.

If we write 400 bytes of data as TEXT tag. With this simple code:

NdefRecord mRecord = NdefRecord.createTextRecord("en", text);

NdefMessage mMsg = new NdefMessage(mRecord);

ndefTag.writeNdefMessage(mMsg);

Reading the 400 bytes of payload data as NDEF record takes approximately 1.3 second. Thats a throughput of 307 bytes/second. We use native Android code, similar to the write code.

I can see there is data rate low and high - anyone knows how i can choose to use data rate high with standard Android java code?

Or other suggestions to lower the rate? If we could just move 400 bytes in 4-500 ms. it would be acceptable.

Regards Jens

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JL. Lebon
ST Employee

Hello Jens,

I don't think there is a possibility to select Low or High datarate in Android. But usually, Android phones are all using High datarate (I've seen only very old phones using Low datarate).

Your problem may be that Android is using "Read Single block" commands to read the NDEF file, when it would be faster to use "Read Multiple Blocks" commands.

The CCFile of the tag is indicating to Android if it supports Read Multiple Blocks command or not. This is the bit 0 of CC3 byte.

Can you please provide the content of your CCFile ? (to read the CCFile value, you can install the "ST25 NFC Tap" application on your phone).

Best regards.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JL. Lebon
ST Employee

Hello Jens,

I don't think there is a possibility to select Low or High datarate in Android. But usually, Android phones are all using High datarate (I've seen only very old phones using Low datarate).

Your problem may be that Android is using "Read Single block" commands to read the NDEF file, when it would be faster to use "Read Multiple Blocks" commands.

The CCFile of the tag is indicating to Android if it supports Read Multiple Blocks command or not. This is the bit 0 of CC3 byte.

Can you please provide the content of your CCFile ? (to read the CCFile value, you can install the "ST25 NFC Tap" application on your phone).

Best regards.