cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tantalum filter caps for LD1086?

Legacy member
Not applicable

The datasheet for the LD1086 specifies that I should use a 10 uF capacitor to filter the input/output of the device. The datasheet schematic for a typical application shows polarized filter caps. But the datasheet doesn't specify what type of capacitor I should use (polarized aluminum, polarized tantalum like LDO linear regulators, etc.).

Should I use polarized tantalum caps? Or will even unpolarized ceramic caps work, as long as they're 10 uF?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @Legacy member, to the community!

Well, the LD1086 was developed several decades ago when ceramic capacitors were relatively expensive. It is usually used with tantalum capacitors, possibly also electrolytic capacitors, whose capacity, however, should be designed 3...5 times larger, i.e. 33...47µF. Ceramic capacitors can also be used, but a small resistor should be connected in series with the MLCC as an artificial ESR of about 1ohm to ensure stability.

By the way, tantalum capacitors are mentioned in the transient diagrams in the data sheet - just search for "(tant)".

If the problem is solved, please click Accept as Solution. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @Legacy member, to the community!

Well, the LD1086 was developed several decades ago when ceramic capacitors were relatively expensive. It is usually used with tantalum capacitors, possibly also electrolytic capacitors, whose capacity, however, should be designed 3...5 times larger, i.e. 33...47µF. Ceramic capacitors can also be used, but a small resistor should be connected in series with the MLCC as an artificial ESR of about 1ohm to ensure stability.

By the way, tantalum capacitors are mentioned in the transient diagrams in the data sheet - just search for "(tant)".

If the problem is solved, please click Accept as Solution. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Legacy member
Not applicable

Thanks! I should've noticed the labels on the diagrams. I'll go with tantalum.