cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T1610T-8i won't turn off above 60c, should work to 100c

Burtb6
Associate

I apply three phases at 115vac, 400hz.

I apply a 10A load. I turn on the Opto-Triac (VOT8121AB), and current runs thru the Triac under test(TUT) (T1610T-8i) and ac voltage appears at the output (ex; see CSSI_R_PhaA_Out, loc=A5, of Attached schematic “8440-211-00-A.a3-pg9-SCH”)

I turn off the Opto-Triac, and the Output voltage and current both fall to approx. zero.

I turn on the Opto-Triac, and the Output voltage and current rise to 115vac, @10A. I monitor a current probe near the case of the TUT; At 40c, I can turn on and off the Opto-Triac, and the TUT turns on and off.

With the TUT on, I watch the temp rise. When it reaches 60C, The TUT does not turn off using the opto-Triac. When I drop AC into the TUT, for 100-200ms, the TUT turns off. TUT does turn on using the opto-Triac.

When the temperature near the TUT is allowed drop from 60 to 50c, the Opto-Triac turns the TUT on and off.

The resistance measured between pin 1 and 3 of the TUT, using a gate resistor of 390 ohm, (ex: R210, Loc=A2) =148 ohm.

Should I Try to lower the resistor from Gate to Output?

I placed a 385 ohm in parallel with the existing 390 ohm between pin 1 and 3 of the TUT. The resistance measured =107 ohm.

The temperature at which the TUT turned off increased 5c.

How small is it advisable to lower the resistance between pin 1 and 3 of the TUT? Using my present setup, I worry about the gate voltage I will generate if I go from 390 ohm to 75 ohm.

1 REPLY 1
Burtb6
Associate

see pic for heat sink