cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STUSB4700 application without I2C conifuration

smattmul
Associate

What happens if I use STUSB4700 in my application but I do not communicate with the STUSB4700 over I2C? Will the STUSB4700 negotiate a contract as a source with the sinking device and offer the PS FB voltages which are connected to the GPIO? I would like to provide a maximum of 15V by leaving GPIO3 and GPIO4 open circuit and negotiate a 3A maximum to the source which I believe is the NVM so I should have to communicate over I2C. I would like an automotive grade part but maybe the STUSB4710 would be the only solution for me?

1 REPLY 1
RogerMun
Associate

As is explained in the datasheet, there is a default configuration for example, for stusb4700:

RogerMun_0-1710341648765.png

If you leave GPIOs open circuit, the IC will negotiate some PDOs but won't be capable of setting the desired voltage, so the Vbus_en_src will open the switches and you won't have any output. So, in conclusion, you won't be able to charge any device which is capable of being charged at the PDOs that you are leaving open circuit.

If 15V 3A is ok for your application, i would recommend you to make a design capable of delivering all the default PDOs stored in the IC NVM.