cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMIC Charger Recommendation for 2-cell Li-ion Battery (LIR2450) and Reference Design

Zaim01
Associate

Hello ST Community,

I am currently working on a project that involves the use of 2 LIR2450 Li-ion batteries. For the battery charging aspect, I am seeking recommendations for a suitable Power Management Integrated Circuit (PMIC) charger from ST.

Specifically, I would appreciate your guidance on the following:

1. PMIC Charger Recommendation:

• Could you please recommend a PMIC charger that is suitable for charging 2 Li-ion cells in parallel, specifically LIR2450 batteries? I am looking for a device that provides efficient and safe charging for this configuration.
  2. Configuration Details:

• What configurations and settings are recommended for the chosen PMIC charger to ensure optimal charging performance for LIR2450 batteries? This includes voltage, current, termination criteria, and any other relevant parameters.
  3. Reference Design:

• If available, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share any reference designs or application notes related to a PMIC charger for a 2-cell Li-ion battery configuration similar to what I described. This would be immensely helpful in guiding my design process.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. I look forward to hearing from the community's expertise on this matter.

Best regards,
Zaim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Protection for overcurrent, overvoltage and undervoltage is already provided by the STNS01 as mentioned on the website:

The STNS01 integrates overcharge, over-discharge and overcurrent protection circuitry to prevent the battery from being damaged under fault conditions. It also features a charger enable input to stop the charging process when battery overtemperature is detected by an external circuitry.

It provides also some overvoltage protection (at VIN), see data sheet, section 7.9.

Under Tools & Software you will also find a reference design, i.e. the evaluation tool STEVAL-ISB032V1.

Good luck!
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @Zaim01, to the community!

The parallel connection of two LiIO batteries does not require a PMIC because charge balancing is only necessary for series connection.

You can find suitable devices on the Battery Chargers overview page and could consider STNS01 or STBC08, which contain all the necessary protective circuits, depending on your requirements.

Hope that helps?

Good luck!
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your guidance.

STNS01 looks good thank you for your recommendation

Given that my batteries lack built-in protection, I'd like to implement external protection circuits for overcurrent, overvoltage, and undervoltage scenarios. Could you provide guidance on integrating these features into my design using external circuitry?

Additionally, if there are any recommended schematics or reference designs for such external protection circuits, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here's the datasheet of the LIR2450 batteries I plan to use: [datasheet link].

Your assistance in ensuring the safety and reliability of my battery setup is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Zaim

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Protection for overcurrent, overvoltage and undervoltage is already provided by the STNS01 as mentioned on the website:

The STNS01 integrates overcharge, over-discharge and overcurrent protection circuitry to prevent the battery from being damaged under fault conditions. It also features a charger enable input to stop the charging process when battery overtemperature is detected by an external circuitry.

It provides also some overvoltage protection (at VIN), see data sheet, section 7.9.

Under Tools & Software you will also find a reference design, i.e. the evaluation tool STEVAL-ISB032V1.

Good luck!
/Peter